Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Jan 25, 2011, 1:39 PM   #1

Default memory cards

Have just purchased a Canon SX1 IS and was wondering what kind of memory card to use. I am looking at getting a Sandisk Extreme 32GB Class 10 sdhc card. I read of someone who had a canon camera and found that her camera was not capable of using a class 10 but a class 4 and 6 would work. Should I continue in my current search or should I be looking at a different brand and class?
Dawn555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 25, 2011, 2:01 PM   #2

I hate (expensive) Sandisk :-) ... using Transcend class6 and class10, also for Canon SX1 ... class6 works well.

Videospeed of SX1 = 43mbps = 5.4 MBps ---> Class6 is enough, Class10 works also, writespeed of Transcend class10 ~ 14MBps.
DonalDuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2011, 6:11 PM   #3

One issue to think about: remember that using 3 part batteries will affect your original garanty.
Ordo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2011, 3:59 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ordo View Post
One issue to think about: remember that using 3 part batteries will affect your original garanty.
Said WHO ? youuuuu? ... laughing ...
Old Jan 26, 2011, 5:01 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonalDuc View Post
Said WHO ? youuuuu? ... laughing ...
Sorry, but it's implied in the warranty:

http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/consum...viceAndSupport

I quote:

This limited warranty covers all defects encountered in normal use of the Product, and does not apply in the following cases:

(a) Loss of or damage to the Product due to abuse, mishandling, improper packaging by you, alteration, accident, electrical current fluctuations, failure to follow operating, maintenance or environmental instructions prescribed in Canon U.S.A.'s or Canon Canada's user's manual or services performed by someone other than Canon U.S.A. or Canon Canada, or a Canon authorized service provider for the Product. Without limiting the foregoing, water damage, sand/corrosion damage, battery leakage, dropping the Product, scratches, abrasions or damage to the body, lenses or LCD display or damage to the any of the accessories mentioned in the first paragraph above will be presumed to have resulted from misuse, abuse or failure to operate the Product as set forth in the operating instructions.

(b) Use of parts or supplies (other than those sold by Canon U.S.A. or Canon Canada) that cause damage to the Product or cause abnormally frequent service calls or service problems.
Old Jan 26, 2011, 7:02 PM   #6

Ups. This was intended to the Spare Batteries thread, not the Memory Cards. Sorry.
Old Jan 27, 2011, 4:03 AM   #7

Who says, 3rd party batteries cause damage? I'm using ~ 20 pieces of 3rd party batteries, no difference to originals - Sony, Lumix, Canon, Samsung, Fuji ...
Originals € 60 - € 99.90, 3rd party € 5 - € 12 ... that's more than Somalia sea robbery !

Original batteries are from China, 3rd party also - perhaps same machine.

Canon also writes same about 3rd party INK, also laughing. They do/write ALL to MAKE MONEY. Per one cartridge - original ink = € 12.99, 3rd party = € 0.69, my refill = € 0.20 !!! Same quality, Chinese or Swiss ink! Making toc-toc-toc to Canon's ink.

Printed with my refills and Canon IP4000/IP4700 > 5000 double sided pages and some thousands of high quality pictures. No problems, first print head in each printer.
Old Jan 27, 2011, 8:13 AM   #8

It's just in case Donald. Just in case, during the year or so that the warranty last. Then, i guess, it's already the same.
Old Jan 28, 2011, 6:47 PM   #9

I understand that there's a law about that. Auto manufacturers tried to require owners to purchase OEM filters in order to maintain the warrantee, but the law stated that if this is a requirement, the filters must be free to the owner.

Does this ring a bell for anyone? I've only heard snippets.
iowa_jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2011, 7:31 PM   #10
Administrator

I'd get a Transcend Class 10 SDHC card instead (they have much better "bang for the buck").

I'm getting ready to order one right now from newegg.com, along with some other stuff like a USB 3.0 PCIe card, a USB 3.0 attached hard drive, and a USB 3.0 Flash Drive (going with USB 3.0 so that I'll get better performance using external media, making it more practical for storing images, running operating systems from flash drives, etc.). newegg.com is my favorite vendor for that type of thing (flash memory, hard drives and other PC related components).

Here are the Class 10 Transcend SDHC cards there (only $28.99 delivered for a 16GB card).

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...ass+10&x=0&y=0

They're almost as fast as the latest Sandisk 30MB/Second cards, and they cost a lot less. ;-) Here are some benchmarks of faster SDHC cards:

http://www.hjreggel.net/cardspeed/sp...cards-sdc.html
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote