Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Jan 28, 2011, 1:48 PM   #1

Default Is there more than 1 kind of XD card for Olympus SLR's?

Do all Olympus XD cards fit all the eVolt cameras?

I just bought an Olympus e-510, supposedly a factory refurb in "perfect" working order. Didn't include a card, so I ordered one. Came and it won't snap into place in the card slot. Seller claims it was working when he shipped it. I've checked the documentation with the camera, Olympus online documentation, etc., and it looks like I do have the right card. It is an Olympus XD M+, 1 GB capacity. The card is undamaged. All I'm left with is that the locking mechanism in the camera is bad. Or, do I have the wrong card?

Has anyone ever encountered this? Oh, and I know I'm putting it in the card slot the right way--LOL!
amc654 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 28, 2011, 2:08 PM   #2

Are you sure you're orienting the card correctly. I don't have the e510 at hand but I do have the e520 manual. That shows the contacts facing the front of the camera and going in first.

Answer to 1st question, yes.

A. C.
ac.smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2011, 9:37 PM   #3

AC, thanks for your response! I am absolutely positive I have it oriented properly. I've checked not only the manual, but have gone online to the Olympus website and found the instructions with drawings there. And my husband has tried as well, and he is an engineering designer, so he is better than I about reading a drawing.... I've also checked the card itself very carefully to make sure the notch isn't dinged or damaged, or the rest of it.

So, I guess the slot is bad, if all the cards will fit all the models.
Old Jan 28, 2011, 9:52 PM   #4

Send it back, sound like the slot is bad.
Old Jan 28, 2011, 10:17 PM   #5

Yes, send it back. It was represented as fully functional and if the xD card won't fit it isn't. That said I use CF cards most of the time in my e620 but I do carry one xD card in case I need the functionality that requires an xD.

A. C.
ac.smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2011, 3:42 PM   #6

Thank you both for your input! I have sent back the camera for a full refund. The seller offered to send me a nice CF card for free, but when I would want to do an in-camera panorama shot, I wouldn't be able to without the XD card, as I understand it. Plus, it was not really as represented....