Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Feb 17, 2011, 4:38 PM   #1

Default camera cant see memory card

Hi there I'm having problems with my canon Ixus 200 IS and memory cards. I lent my 4gb card to my son to use in his pentax camera. Meanwhile I have bought a Kingston 8GB card,when I put it in the camera the camera said.. .No Memory Card.. Thinking it was perhaps the card that was not compatable I got my 4GB card back off my son and put that in and its thats not recognised,same message no memory card. I have tried resetting the camera and even formatting my original card in another canon camera but nothing.Both cards work in my sons cameras without any problems. I am waiting for Canon to respond but the camera is 13 months old so just out of warranty, any advise please would be appreciated.I was hoping to use the camera this weekend,I saw a couple of wild dear the other week when I was minus my camera and I'm hoping to see them again.
lil chris26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 19, 2011, 8:19 AM   #2
Administrator

Use a card reader and try formatting them using this utility:

http://www.sdcard.org/consumers/formatter_3/

After it's finished, make sure to safely remove the card so that any pending writes are flushed to the card (always do that whenever writing to a card in any way from a PC, keeping in mind that a delete is a write). Otherwise, you can end up with a corrupted file system.

To safely remove a card, you can use the Safely Remove icon in your system tray, or you can go to "My Computer", look for the drive associated with your card (it will show up as a removable drive), then "right click" on the card and select the "Eject" menu choice. You'll then see a message that the card can be safely removed (at which time you can remove it from the card reader).

After you format them in a card reader, use your camera's menu choice for format (not a PC) before using them again.

That way, they'll be formatted just the way the camera expects them, since the camera is performing the format.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 2011, 8:08 PM   #3

Default camera cant see memory card

Hi there just thought I would let everyone know the eventual result of my camera problem. I contacted Canon who gave me a case number and advised me to send the camera to one of there recomended dealers which I did. They advised me that there was sand inside the camera so the warranty was void,so it was pay 174 or scrap it so I decided to scrap and put the money towards another newer camera,one thats possibly a bit more robust. I can't blame cannon for my carelessness and as far as I know they would have repaired the camera under warranty even though it had just run out,a costly mistake as my wife keeps reminding me.
lil chris26 is offline   Reply With Quote