Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old May 10, 2011, 11:06 PM   #1

Default Sony A580 memory card

My new A580 will be here in a couple of days along with a Zeiss 85mm F/1.4 lens.
Anxious to get some photos taken.

What would be the best 8gb card? I see cl 6 and cl 10 cards available and don't mind spending a little more to get the best combo of price/speed/quality.

Thanks for your inputs.

Jim B
Old May 11, 2011, 7:11 AM   #2
Administrator

I'd get a Sandisk 30MB/Second Memory Stick Pro HG Duo card if you want faster. They're significantly faster than Sandisk Extreme Class 10 SDHC cards.

With the Memory Stick Pro HG Cards, you should get more photos in a raw before the cameras slows down, a faster full buffer frame rate, and faster full buffer flush times when shooting RAW.

Shooting JPEG, it really doesn't make much difference (as the buffer is large enough you're unlikely to run into any slowdowns anyway). But, if you plan on shooting lots of bursts using Continuous Drive Mode shooting RAW, a faster 30MB/Second Sandisk Memory Stick Pro HG Duo card is your best bet.

These are faster than rated (write speeds test at around 45MB/Second in fast card readers, whereas speeds test at around 25MB/Second with the Sandisk Extreme 30MB/Second Class 10 SDHC Card) The 30MB/Second Sandisk MS Pro HG Duo cards are also faster in Sony cameras that take both card types. See the timing tests in our Sony A550 Review Conclusion for one example of that (and I've seen the same thing with the newer SLT models, too -- with the Memory Stick Pro HG Duo cards testing much faster than fast SDHC Cards). Make sure you get the Memory Stick Pro Duo HG (with the HG being the important part) marked as 30MB/Second (and I'd go Sandisk), as the non-HG cards are very slow in comparison.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2011, 7:41 AM   #3
Administrator

P.S.

One thing I do not know yet, is how the latest Sandisk Extreme Pro UHS-1 SDHC Cards (designed to the new SD 3.0 specification) will work in the latest Sony models. These cards are rated at 45MB/Second, and apparently, they really are as fast as rated from what I can see from card reader tests (in readers that can take advantage of the new SD 3.0 specs). See more about them here:

http://www.sandisk.com/microsites/Ex...DHC/index.html

But, I do not know if the Sony A580 will take advantage of the new SD 3.0 specification that allows higher speeds, and I do not know of anyone that's tested one of these newer cards in one yet.

newegg.com has 30MB/Second Sandisk 16GB Memory Stick Pro HG Duo cards for $59.95

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820171414

The Sandisk 45MB/Second UHS-1 SDHC cards are a bit more:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820171507
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2011, 10:07 AM   #4

Hi Jim,
Thanks for the quick feedback. I have used SD cards in the past with good luck and will get your recommendation for the new camera.
Thanks again.