Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Jan 13, 2004, 12:54 PM   #1

Default Card reader - Smart purchase?

I just bought a Canon S400 and am totally new to the digital photography world. Someone told me to purchase a card reader to put my pictures onto my computer instead of using the camera. Something about saving battery power, camera use, etc.

Is this good advice? I purchased a Lexar 256M card so should I purchase a Lexar card reader?

I see on PC Mall they are offering a Syntax multi-card reader for $14.99 and with the mail-in rebate it's free.

http://www.pcmall.com/pcmall/shop/de...sp?dpno=345834

Any advice is appreciated,
Joe
JLinnier is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 13, 2004, 2:23 PM   #2

I like to use card reader because the connections for USB cable look very fragile. I use rechargeable batteries so that is not an issue. It is not necessarly faster to move pictures using a card reader. I also move photos from two different memory types which also supports card reader use.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2004, 2:42 PM   #3

IMHO it is a matter of taste as much as anything. For about the same amount of money for the card reader, you can get an AC adapter. That solves the battery problem and is nice to have for time lapse photos.

The pins/connectors from the memory to the camera are as likely to be a source of problem as the USB connection. You should be carefull whichever way you do it. There do seem to be a more problems that come from folks misshandling their memory with a card reader than there is with USB connections, but that could easily be because more folks use card readers - they tend to be much faster.
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2004, 4:22 PM   #4

Thanks so much for the advice. This group is quite friendly (and knowledgeable).

Joe
JLinnier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2004, 4:33 PM   #5

If your computer supports USB2, then it is almost guarrentied that it will be faster to use a card reader than the camera. I only know of one camera that supports USB2 (but maybe others have appeared?)

USB2 readers are a bit more expensive (about $20-40USD) than USB1 readers, but they are much faster.

But this is all based on the big if your computer has USB2.

Eric

ps. Of course, does the speed really matter? I just start the card downloading and walk away. I'm in no rush.
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2004, 10:24 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillDrew
There do seem to be a more problems that come from folks misshandling their memory with a card reader than there is with USB connections
Yeah, I've thought of that. If you eventually damge the USB port on the camera, the camera will still work fine for taking pictures, and you can use a card reader to get pictures off the card. But, if you damage the card slot, the camera won't work at all.

But, external readers are faster, and I'm thinking of getting one.
UrbanPhotos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2004, 11:12 PM   #7

In addition to the other good advice, the card reader is necessary if you need to continue using your camera while downloading photos. One additional note: I use SM on my older Oly C-1400XL, and have always used a Flashpath reader with it. I recently bought a C-755 and got a dual SM/xD card reader. What a difference in download times!
Norm in Fujino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2004, 1:17 PM   #8

If you plan on using a larger CF size, and if your computer supports USB2.0 - I would get one just to save time. The 480Mbps versus 12 Mbps is a huge time savings especially if you have a 512MB or larger CF. A matter of waiting a couple of minutes versus walking away for 30 minutes or more.
Many printers include card slots now which can also be used as card readers for transfer. So if you are buying a printer with slots, you may not need an additional reader.
cczych is offline   Reply With Quote