Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Jul 25, 2011, 4:29 PM   #1

Default Which card for Cannon S95?

I'm looking to buy a Cannon S95, but am lost as to what memory card to get. Looks like it takes any of the following: SD, SDHC, SDXC, MMC, MMCplus, HCMMCplus.

Thanks for the help!

Shawn
AZStang is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 25, 2011, 5:13 PM   #2

I have the EOS Rebel T3 and I'm using a 4gb SanDisk SDHC card. No issues found...
JeannieBug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2011, 5:19 PM   #3

That depends on how many images you plan to take. But as a starting point I'd look at a class 6 SDHC card. Newegg tends to have the best prices especially on transcend brand cards which Jim C has used and I use all the time.

dave
Photo 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2011, 5:52 PM   #4

What's a "class 6" card?
Old Jul 25, 2011, 5:58 PM   #5
Super Moderator

the "class" refers to the minimum write speed, with the larger numbers being faster.

for the op's s95, i would at least get a 8gb, then either a class 6 or class 10 would be fine. the sandisk's are an easy choice, the extreme series are good cards.
Old Jul 25, 2011, 6:03 PM   #6

Oh... I didn't even know they had different speeds on the cards! Yeah, total noob, here... LOL But that's good to know!

I noticed last night when I was trying to take some pictures in low light, it took several seconds for the photos to get written. But then, I'm also shooting in both RAW and jpeg; so it has to do twice the work...
Old Jul 25, 2011, 8:55 PM   #7
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeannieBug View Post
Oh... I didn't even know they had different speeds on the cards! Yeah, total noob, here... LOL But that's good to know!

I noticed last night when I was trying to take some pictures in low light, it took several seconds for the photos to get written. But then, I'm also shooting in both RAW and jpeg; so it has to do twice the work...
also, if your long exposure noise reduction is on. when taking a long exposure shot your camera will take an equal length exposured dark frame to subtract out noise, this will increase the time between shots by 2.
Old Dec 20, 2011, 8:53 PM   #8

Bumping up this thread because I just bought the S95 and need some nice, fast memory to go with it.

There's a deal on Patriot memory cards that I read about here http://www.dailycheapskate.com/2011/...s-10-sdhc.html but the first review on Amazon seems to have some gripes with it. In the comments on that review it seems that not all cameras are compatible with class 10 at all? And I also hear that cards with more memory take more time to load or something, so should I get a smaller size to avoid this instead of a bigger size so I can store more photos/videos? Short video clips are important to me. Is there a sweet spot of the right amount of memory to have that doesn't slow things down? Is there a big difference in performance between name brands and cheaper ones?

Thanks
knaidel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2011, 3:11 AM   #9

transcend 16gb class 10 not to expensive, but the s95 will not be able to take advantage of a class 10 card, even with hd. All you need is a class 6 in speed. But class 10 has gotten pretty cheap so it is not that much of a price gap between the 2 classes.