Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Sep 14, 2011, 10:29 AM   #1

Default SDHC Memory Card - HELP!

I have just bought the SONY DSC-WX10 compact digital camera. I know it needs SD memory cards, but i have no idea what class or speed i should get??? I have started researching & i just keep getting more & more confused. I have also read reviews where other users have got a memory card that isnt fast enough which has slowed down the camera when in use which i also want to avoid. What class & speed of SDHC memory card do u think i need for this camera to be able to use it to its full potential??? Class 4, 6 or 10?? And what speed, 20MB/s, 30MB/s or higher??? Any advice or help would be greatly appreciated!!!
hello1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 14, 2011, 10:58 AM   #2

It never hurts to have a memory card that is faster than the camera can handle. I'd go with a class 10 as the cost difference between the slower and faster cards is only a few dollars in many cases. I have been using transcend cards bought from newegg without any issues for sometime.

dave
Photo 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2011, 10:58 AM   #3
Administrator

I'd get one of these. Class 10, lifetime warranty:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...E&PageSize=100

Edit:

It looks like we may have an issue with some of our redirect algorithms. If that link doesn't work, try this one instead:

http://tinyurl.com/63o2m8a

They test nicely compared to much higher priced Sandisk 30MB/Second cards (not a lot of difference, with somewhere around 20MB/Second writes for any of them) with the Transcend cards giving you a much lower price point. I use Transcend Cards in my cameras and I've had no issues with them.

http://www.hjreggel.net/cardspeed/sp...cards-sdc.html
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2011, 12:02 PM   #4

I have the 16GB version in my Fuji HS20 and have not has any issues

dave
Photo 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2011, 12:48 PM   #5

According to sony class 4 or 10 are compatible
http://esupport.sony.com/US/perl/sup...0&mdl=DSCWX10B
wave01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2011, 9:35 AM   #6

Thank you soo much for your information, it was a great help! i think i understand it a bit more now. I was also wondering, what does the speed in MB/s of a memory card mean?? What speed should i be looking at for the Sony WX10?? I have looked at some that are 15MB/s, some are 20MB/s and some are 30MB/s. Would the 15MB/s be ok for the WX10? Or would it be too slow & i should perhaps go for a 20 or 30MB/s? I will be taking some Full HD videos with it, but mostly photos. What speed would you recommend?

Thank you so much again
hello1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2011, 10:12 AM   #7
Administrator

The Class ratings are for sustained write speeds. Class 2 = 2MB/Second, Class 4=4MB/Second, Class 6=6MB/Second, Class 10=10MB/Second.

Some cameras do OK with a Class 4. But, I'd suggest a Class 6 or Class 10 card anyway.

Note that some of these cards test faster than their Class Rating (because the Class Ratings for SDHC cards only go to Class 10). For example, see the tests I linked to showing around 20MB/Second Write speeds for the Transcend Class 10 Cards, and a hair over 20MB/Second Write speeds for the 30MB/Second Class 10 Sandisk Cards. You won't get 30MB/Second from one. Those advertised numbers are tests in ideal conditions with specific block sizes, and probably write directly to the card using aligned writes bypassing the file system. Around 20MB/Second is about tops for most of them given real world block sizes using a FAT32 file system, and your camera is probably not capable of writing that fast to one anyway (the camera would become the bottleneck at some point).

Given the small price difference between slower Class 4 Cards and faster Class 10 cards, I'd suggest using a Class 10. For example, one of the Class 10 Transcend Cards I linked to in my previous post.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2011, 8:17 AM   #8

How do I determine which SD card is the correct speed and maximum size for my Samsung NX10?
TTNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2011, 9:13 AM   #9

The Samsung NX10 can use any SD or SDHC card.

Cards that happen to be faster than the camera will work fine, and though their higher transfer rate may be wasted on the NX10, it almost certainly won't be wasted on your next camera. So buying one that's too fast won't hurt you now, and it could help you later.

SD Cards only go as high as 4 GB, and SDHC Cards only go as high as 32 GB. Since the NX10 can use any SD or SDHC Card, the NX10 can use any card up t0 32GB.

There's no such thing as too fast or too large an SD or SDHC card. Don't bother with SDXC cards though.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote