Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Oct 8, 2011, 4:13 PM   #1

Default Nikon D100 Doesn't Recognize Memory Card

Very abruptly with no known cause, my daughter's D100 stopped recognizing the memory card.

Can't reformat it (because the camera doesn't know it's inserted).

She is careful to not insert/remove it unless the camera is off.

The card IS readable when connected to a computer via USB card reader.

Should I blow compressed air into the card slot?

Any other thoughts? Thank you.
joemichaels is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 8, 2011, 5:37 PM   #2

Does it recognize ANY card?
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2011, 6:12 PM   #3
Administrator

If she was deleting images (and moving them does the same thing, since it writes to the memory card to perform a delete), and didn't use "Safely Remove" or right click on the card reader under Computer and select the "Eject" choice (which does the same thing), then it may have gotten corrupted in a way the camera can't use it, even though the computer's operating system still sees it.

Sometimes not all writes to a card have been completed when a card is removed, causing file system corruption. So, using Safely Remove or Eject from Windows (and other operating systems have similar features), makes sure all pending writes to the card have been flushed to it and the file system is unmounted so the card can be removed without corrupting it. Make sure to do the same thing with any other removable storage device (like a USB Attached Hard Drives) if you don't want to risk corrupting their file systems when you unplug them.

Edited for CompactFlash cards...

Oops... I was pointing you to a Secure Digital utility before realizing you have a D100 using CompactFlash cards.

With the card inserted into your card reader, right click on it and select Format (I'm assuming Windows here). Then, make sure to select FAT32 from the drop down list of file system types if it's a 4GB or larger card. If not (smaller card), select FAT as the file system type. That should reformat it to a file system the camera can understand.

Then, see if the camera can see it and lets you format it OK from it's menu choice for format.

BTW, as a general rule of thumb, I always reformat a memory card using a camera's menu choice for format before every reuse. That insures I always start out with a fresh File Allocation Table, just the way the camera expects it since it's performing the format.

I rarely delete anything using a PC from a card I use in my camera's either. It's just as fast (or faster) to delete the images from it by using the camera's menu choice for format. That way, I reduce the risk of corrupting the card's file system if I'm not writing to the card from a PC. But, if you do write to one, I'd make sure to use the Safely Remove features built into the Operating System you're using, so that you know that any pending writes to it have been finished and it's OK to remove the card.

If it still isn't recognized after reformatting it using a PC, selecting FAT as the file system if it's 2GB or smaller, or FAT32 if it's a 4GB or larger card (and make sure to "right click" on the card under Computer and select the "Eject choice" after your reformat it), I'd see if other cards are recognized in it, as TCav asked (to see if something is wrong with the camera or it's card slot).
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2011, 6:43 PM   #4
Administrator

What size card do you have?

It appears that the D100 may not support cards larger than 2GB, although some users have reported success using 4GB cards and microdrives formatted by a PC. Whether or not it's been upgraded to Version 2.0 firmware may also impact if it can use anything other than a FAT (a.k.a., FAT16 versus FAT32) formatted card that's 2GB or smaller.

So, you may want to try a 2GB or smaller card in it and see if it works that way. Not all cameras can use FAT32 formatted cards.

If it is a 2GB or smaller card that's not working, try formatting it in your card reader by "right clicking" on the drive for the card reader under "My Computer" or "Computer", select Format, and make sure to select FAT (not FAT32) from the drop down list of file system types. Then, see if the camera's menu choice for Format works OK with it after formatting it with the file system set to FAT using a PC.

IOW, even if it's a 2GB or smaller card (which should work, even if larger card's don't), it may have been formatted by a PC without making sure the file system type was set to FAT causing a problem (and some operating systems are going to use FAT32 by default, which may not work in it). That would explain why a PC can see it OK (since it can use a FAT32 file system OK).

P.S.

Shine a light into the camera's card slot and look for a bent pin. That happens from time to time when a card or slot is worn enough to allow some "wiggle room" when inserting one, and you may have bent a pin in it.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2012, 7:00 PM   #5

Default FUJIFINEPIX F60fd

hello guys i have the same problem here have tried formatting my 8GB to FAT32 and exFAT but no success my camera still wont see the memory card pls help...
billabong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2012, 7:57 PM   #6

Can you format the card in the camera?

Can your camera see any card?
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2012, 8:13 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCav View Post
Can you format the card in the camera?

Can your camera see any card?
cant see the card at all...
billabong is offline   Reply With Quote