Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Jan 21, 2004, 6:58 AM   #1

Default newbie question about pictures per M of memory

Hello,
Can someone give me an idea of how many pictures I can get for a given amount of memory? I know this depends on several factors, but a general idea would help.
Thank you.
jsnively is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 21, 2004, 9:39 AM   #2

My 3.2 Mp camera tells me it gives 120 pictures on 128Mb card using maximum resolution and low compression option on JPEG. However The number doesn't always decrease after every shot because it is an estimate and the amount of compression possible can mean that the image may take more or less space. Another factor is that with a 16Mb card the estimate is 13 pictures so it's not a linear relationship there are overheads thatget in the way.

So that's one example. However a different 3.2 Mp camera may use a different degree of compression and fit more or less pictures on the same card. When you use RAW or TIFF to save the image you won't get any compression so you'll get a lot less pictures on the card.

A 2 or a 5 Mp camera will give a completely different number of pictures on the same size card.

Probably a better idea is to state which camera you are using and ask owners what settings they use and how many pictures they get to a card.
Nagasaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2004, 10:34 AM   #3

It depends on the resolution you are shooting at the type of compression you are going to use. What model of camera are you looking for.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2004, 11:01 AM   #4

Thanks, Nagasaki and Phil.
I'm considering an Olympus c5050.
Old Jan 21, 2004, 11:02 AM   #5

http://www.sandisk.com/retail_product_brochures.html
ohenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2004, 12:59 PM   #6

With the C5050 and 1 256 mb Compact Flash card you will be able to store 70 shots in SHQ jpeg compression setting and 210 shots in HQ jpeg compression setting. Here is a link to Steve's review:

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2002_...050.html#specs
Old Jan 21, 2004, 3:27 PM   #7

Thanks, Phil. That leads me to another question: I went shopping for a CF card and came across the Viking brand. There was a choice between regular and professional grade and the price difference was about double. What's the difference between the two?
Old Jan 21, 2004, 5:53 PM   #8

The professional grade is proably has a faster write speed. 10X to 16X is the fastest I think that most consumer digicams can take advantage of.
Old Jan 21, 2004, 9:20 PM   #9

Also, a 256mb card won';t you give 256mb of space for pictures.

My Lexar 256mb card, after formatted via my Canon S400 says that 240mb are free with 0 pictures on it. Personally I find 16mb quite a bit for file system (and what else is "stored" on the card...???) but 240 is still decent.
KandieMan is offline   Reply With Quote