Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Nov 29, 2011, 6:26 AM   #11
Administrator

The Panasonic cards are only rated at 25MB/Second Write speed. Only the read speed is rated 90MB/Second. Look at the photos of them and you'll see that printed on the front of the cards (25MB/Second Write Speed claimed by Panasonic):

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...mory_Card.html

Of course, most of the time when manufacturers make claims like that, it's under ideal conditions bypassing the file system using aligned writes with a specific block size. But, from what I can see, even using aligned writes, they appear to test at around 19MB/Second Write Speed (even though read speed is really fast at around 71MB/Second). See the benchmarks on this page (and you can click on a card model and see the full benchmarks page for it:

http://www.hjreggel.net/cardspeed/cs_sdxc.html

IOW, their write speed (which is what you care about for buffer flush times) is a *lot* slower than the older 45MB/Second Sandisk UHS-1 Cards (which actually test close to their rated write speed in a fast UHS-1 Capable Card Reader using aligned writes with larger block sizes). But, I haven't seen any tests of the newer and faster 90MB/Second Write speed Sandisk Cards yet like the one I posted a link to earlier in this thread at B&H. This card:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...Pro_16_GB.html

IOW, the latest Sandisk Cards are probably going to have write speeds that are several times as fast as the Panasonic Cards in a fast UHS-1 capable card reader without any bus bottlenecks in the way (as even the older Sandisk model rated for 45MB/Second Write speed tests more than twice as fast).

Now, I really don't expect them to test several times as fast in a D7000, as the camera would probably be the bottleneck at some point, and I have not seen any tests of the latest Sandisk cards rated at 90MB/Second Write Speed yet. Of course, we'll have to wait until someone tries them to find out (as they may surprise us and be several times as fast in it). But, I'd still expect them to be significantly faster than the Panasonic Cards in a D7000 (as the Panasonic cards have write speeds that are quite slow as UHS-1 Cards released so far go).
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2011, 9:16 AM   #12

Thanks for the info. I guess this old guy isn't as tech savy as he thought. Any way for the price I'll have a few decent 16G cards.
madecov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2011, 9:44 AM   #13
Administrator

Adorama, huh?

They're a good vendor. If you don't use them or open them (as they probably wouldn't take back a memory card removed from it's original packaging), you can probably return them:

http://www.adorama.com/catalog.tpl?op=faq#returnPolicy

They also carry the Sandisk Cards. Here's a listing for one. But, they're temporarily out of stock right now

http://www.adorama.com/IDSDSDXPA16G.html

It looks like B&H has the Sandisk cards marked down to only $59.99 right now:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...Pro_16_GB.html
Old Nov 29, 2011, 1:21 PM   #14

Well I placed the order last night and they already shipped. I am guessing they will still be faster than my Transcend cards. I may keep them and get some Sandisk later. The sale price was worth the purchase. I am going to purchase either a NEX or Nikon 1 (not sure yet) probably next year so extra memory is never a waste
madecov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2011, 2:08 PM   #15
Administrator

You never know, by this time next year, we might be seeing 128GB Cards with UHS-II support and claimed write speeds of 300MB/Second for the same price. :-)

I've been pretty surprised at how fast the price has dropped on the Sandisk 90MB/95MB write/read speed UHS-1 Cards since they were released. I just checked my e-mail history where we were discussing them internally, and noted that the 8GB cards were selling for $109.99 just two months ago (and now we're seeing 16GB cards for $59.99 from B&H). :-)
Old Nov 29, 2011, 9:37 PM   #16

Sometimes you gotta love progress. Especially when the price drops like that.
Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2011, 10:30 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by madecov View Post
........ BTW, I also have Transcend Class 10 cards and find them to be agonizingly slow, especially when downloading to the computer

I have some class 6 micro SDHC and class 10 SDHC cards and I can tell a noticeable difference between the two of them when I upload images to my computer but not when I am shooting in my Fuji HS20. Have yet use a class 6 card in my Pentax K-5. However I don't find the class 10 cards to be slow when I upload to my computer but then again I have never used anything faster..........

dave
Photo 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2011, 4:01 AM   #18

Once again, the SD Card Speed Classes aren't about how fast a card is. They're about how slow it won't be.

That is, if you believe the manufacturer.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2011, 11:03 AM   #19

Tcav good point most of us never think about, my point was that I can tell the difference between class 6 and 10 cards as far as speed goes so the original writer may find noticable speed between the class 10 and the UHS-1 cards in their camera.
Old Nov 30, 2011, 11:11 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC View Post
You never know, by this time next year, we might be seeing 128GB Cards with UHS-II support and claimed write speeds of 300MB/Second for the same price. :-)

I've been pretty surprised at how fast the price has dropped on the Sandisk 90MB/95MB write/read speed UHS-1 Cards since they were released. I just checked my e-mail history where we were discussing them internally, and noted that the 8GB cards were selling for $109.99 just two months ago (and now we're seeing 16GB cards for $59.99). :-)
I've noticed that the cost for Transcend 16GB class 10 SDHC cards has dropped to half of what the prices was 8 months ago (I bought one 8 months ago and just got one more when I got my Pentax at the end of October and the price difference was exactly half)

This time next year I am sure 128GB cards will be out, as several manufacturers claim to have them in the pipe line for video use. I can also see a trend where smaller cards under 16GB (or maybe 8GB) will slow fade away and 16GB (or maybe 8GB) and larger will be come the standard sold cards...... making it harder and harder as times goes on to find 1GB, 2GB, 4GB and 8GB cards. Kind of like we have seen a serious fade in 1GB and smaller cards that used to be available........

UHS-II cards sound nice on paper but if your camera doesn't get a firmware upgrade to support them that would be worthless to the average person......... Although I am sure those card would be apreciated by anyway buying the new to be released $6000 Cannon mega-do it all camera body.

dave