Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Nov 30, 2011, 12:42 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Photo 5 View Post
UHS-II cards sound nice on paper but if your camera doesn't get a firmware upgrade to support them ...
A firmware upgrade won't do it. That will require new hardware.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2011, 9:07 PM   #22

now that I think about it TCav your right on.......
Photo 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2011, 6:40 PM   #23

Cards should be here tomorrow. I'll decide if I am going to keep them or return them and swap for sandisk. I'm more of the mind that I will keep them and use them. I will report impressions as I use them. I don't plan on any scientific testing.
madecov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2011, 6:48 PM   #24
Administrator

If you open them, you probably can't return them. Most vendors usually only accept memory cards for return if they're in the original packaging.

But, there's no way to know if you'd get faster speed with the newer Sandisk model or not either, since I haven't seen anyone report test results with one using a D7000.

Are you shooting Sports or anything where you're shooting a lot of consecutive bursts? If so, are you shooting raw, where buffer flush times and full buffer frame rates are going to be slower? Your camera is going to be the same speed with any of them until the internal buffer is full. Only then is it going to slow down to the speed it's able to write to a card.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2011, 7:15 PM   #25

Almost never use burst. But the one thing I really Really hate is slow transfer to the computer.
Old Dec 4, 2011, 7:21 PM   #26
Administrator

The read speed on the Panasonic cards is very fast. ;-)

But, unless you're using a card reader attached to something other than a USB 2.0 port, you're not going to get faster transfer speeds anyway.

You'll need to use a USB 3.0 port with a USB 3.0 reader (or a SATA attached reader instead) that is UHS-1 compliant and specifically supports the SD 3.0 specs in order to get faster transfer speeds.

If you're using a "plain jane" USB 2.0 attached SDHC card reader, the reader and speed of the port are both going to be bottlenecks. Transfer speed from most USB 2.0 readers tends to "top out" at a bit over 30MB/Second, regardless of card speed.

Now, USB 3.0 cards to add USB 3.0 support to a PC are relatively inexpensive anymore. You can find PCIe cards with USB 3.0 ports for under $20. You can also find USB 3.0 card readers supporting the newer card types, too. But, personally, I wouldn't care much about the transfer times.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2011, 9:09 PM   #27

Received the Cards. I decided to keep them. In my very brief use they seem to be about as fast as my Sandisk 30mbs 8G cards. But the download speed to the computer even with USB 2.0 is faster.

Overall I'm pleased with them. I will probably keep an eye on the Sandisk card prices and if/when they drop I'll end up getting some of those.