Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Nov 23, 2011, 1:10 PM   #1

Default want 16G cards for D7000

I have a few 8G cards from Sandisk, both the 30 & 45 ms cards. I am looking to get two 16G cards and was wondering if the Nikon D7000 can actually take advantage of the faster Sandisk or Panasonic cards. Would I see faster buffer clearing?
I know download from a card reader would be faster but If there is no point in getting the newest high speed cards for bugfer clearing I just assume not spend the money
madecov is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 23, 2011, 3:08 PM   #2

"Larger" doesn't necessarily mean "Faster".

But the D7000 supports UHS-1 and SHXC, so I think it's unlikely that you could buy a card that's too fast for the D7000.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2011, 5:31 PM   #3

I understand that larger does not equate to faster. Sandisk and Pansonic each have cards that are supposed to be in the 90-95/ms speed. There will come a point where the camera can not run at a speed that the cards are capable of. I know the cards should work ok, just wondering if any one has any knowledge as to what the D7000 is capable of?

If the D7000 has a maximum transfer rate of 60/ms then the 45/ms cards may be all I need.
Old Nov 24, 2011, 9:19 PM   #4

It is always better to have a card that is too fast than one that is too slow. I'd go with a class 10 SDHC card for the camera. I have been having very good luck with Transcend cards for years both CF and SDHC. Currently have a 16GB class 10 Transcend in my Pentax K-5 that was also used in my Fuji HS20 and have had no issues at all.
Photo 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2011, 9:08 AM   #5

As Photo 5 touched on, it is the class of the card, not the size that identifies how fast a card works. A type 2 is the slowest, a type 6 faster- and the class 10 faster yet. I just last week purchased 2 Transcend Ty. 10 16GB cards from Amazon for $15.95, a very good price- have one in my new Fujifilm X-10 and can say between the camera and the card- it's definitely FAST!
Your Nikon D7000 is a very fast camera... I would think it would greatly benefit from a Ty. 10 card. Especially if you shoot in RAW.
Wes
Wes James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2011, 11:34 AM   #6
Administrator

Guys...

I think the OP is asking about much faster cards than typical Class 10 SDHC Cards (as the OP already has 30MB/Second and 45MB/Second cards). ;-)

madecov

I have not seen any tests of the latest Sandisk Extreme Pro UHS-1 SDHC/SDXC cards in a D7000 yet. They're running around $65 for a 16GB card for the latest model with 95MB/Second read speed and 90MB/Second Write speed (600x). Here's one listing for them:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...Pro_16_GB.html

I did see a couple of tests with the the slower Sandisk 45MB/Second (300x) UHS-1 model, as well as a test of a faster Delkin 633x UHS-1 Card. See this article:

http://sportsphotoguy.com/nikon-d7000-raw-burst-test/

That test didn't look very promising for how fast the D7000 can write to UHS-1 memory cards, based on the results with the Delkin. The newer Sandisk model rated at 90MB/Second write speeds may work better in the D7000. But, we'll have to wait until someone tests one to find out, as I have not seen anyone publish test results using that card with a D7000.

Of course, you could buy one, test it and let us know what you get with it. ;-)
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2011, 1:04 PM   #7

There are a few things that I think need to be said:
  • The SD Speed Classes of 2, 4, 6, & 10 are based on what the manufacturer says is the minimum sustained write speed, in megabytes per second (MB/s). It has nothing whatsoever to do with the maximum write speed or the read speed, maximum or otherwise.
  • The SD Card Speed Classes are not policed. That is, any manufacturer could label any card as a Class 10 card, and no one would know the difference, especially end users that buy based only on price and Class. I have some SanDisk and Lexar Class 4 and Class 6 cards that write faster (sustained or otherwise) than Class 10 cards from other manufacturers.
  • Unlike the SD Card Speed Classes, the UHS Speed Classes are for the maximum performance of the interface (both the card and the host.) So far, the only UHS Speed Class is UHS-1 (Ultra High Speed Phase I), which has a maximum performance of 104 MB/s. Since the SD Card Speed Classes are for minimum sustained speed, and the Ultra High Speed Phases specify maximum performance, comparisons between the SD Card Speed Classes and the UHS Speed Class(es) can not be made.
Old Nov 26, 2011, 7:41 PM   #8

JimC,

Thank you. I think you understood my question and have provided an answer.
I will probably end up ordering two of the new cards from B&H or Adorama.
Old Nov 27, 2011, 9:00 AM   #9

Good luck. I'm looking forward to reading what you discover.
Old Nov 28, 2011, 11:53 PM   #10

Just ordered two new 16G cards from Adorama, the Panasonic UHS-1 cards (90ms- gold label) are on special for $45.00 each from $57.00. Today and tomorrow only, free shipping.
They are listed on the Nikon approved list so I'll provide my impressions once they arrive. No real scientific test, but I'll run a few tests to see if the buffer clears faster.

BTW, I also have Transcend Class 10 cards and find them to be agonizingly slow, especially when downloading to the computer