Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Jan 22, 2004, 6:55 AM   #1

Default Corrupt CF card

I have a 9 in 1 ATech card reader that I D/L images from (USB 2, about 10x faster than from the camera BTW). They have a driver for the reader that creates 4 drive letters for each slot of the reader. If you don't put the driver in only one drive letter shows and only my CF card is read. I put in a friends XD card and it didn't show untill I put the driver in.
Now, I used the reader with the driver and did a cut and paste for the folder I wanted to xfer and now the card is corupt. The folder shows in Windows but when I try to open it is gives me a message it is unreadable.

Worse yet the card doesn't work in the camera at all. I can't even format the card, it locks up the camera.

Now what?? It is a 256MB Lexar CF card in a Minolta 7hi camera.

When I did a cut and paste before without the driver it would just copy the folder, nothing else. The folder was still there on the card and I had to format the card to get rid of it. Now I can't do anything? Is this card trashed?
videobruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 22, 2004, 9:51 PM   #2

have you tried using your computer to format the card?
make sure its fat16, not a lot of cams will read fat32.
Gandalf065 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2004, 10:34 PM   #3
Administrator

The PhotoRescue guys have a utility called Card Wiper that overwrites all the space on a card with zeroes. This usually takes care of cards that were corrupted by using the computer's file management utilities to move or erase files from a flash card.

http://www.datarescue.com/photorescue/download.htm

Just make sure to use it properly and carefully !

-Steve
steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2004, 1:56 PM   #4

I borrowed a camera from a friends and was able to reformat the card there.

Ok, here is the deal................

I did additional testing and this is what I found:
I used the spare 16MB card that came with the camera (allows all the way up to 3 large pics......wow!) and purposely did a CUT and paste operation. The folder was copied ok and it showed deleted in Windows. After I removed the card from the reader I did get a error message:
"delayed write failed.........unable to save all the data............the data was lost"
I put the card back in the camera, the camera accessed the card ok and fired up ok (not like the other time) with the folder and the pics still there. I returned it to the card reader again and the folder WASN'T there!

It was my understanding that the 'eject hardware' icon in the system tray (Win 2k w/sp4) was for removing the whole device (card reader) not for each memory card itself.
The instructions for the Atech Pro 9 reader I have says that also.
BUT, others have said to use the eject hardware before you remove the card from the reader.
If I remove the card without using that utility, I get a message
"delayed write failed.........unable to save all the data".
If I use that utility, the whole entry disappears and I can't use the reader without a reboot.

BTW, there are NO drivers installed for the reader per Atech's recomendation even though the instructions say different!
Old Jan 24, 2004, 3:36 PM   #5

Quote:
It was my understanding that the 'eject hardware' icon in the system tray (Win 2k w/sp4) was for removing the whole device (card reader) not for each memory card itself.
This true; use this operation to remove the device.

The instructions that came with the Sandisk Image Mate card reader says the you need to 'eject media' -- open [my computer], right click the drive icon corresponding to the card reader, select [eject], then you can pull the card out.
jawz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2004, 9:17 AM   #6

How about that................

If you go to the drive icon and choose 'eject' it seems to work!
Think I should tell the boys at Atech??

Someone else suggested using the 'eject hardware' icon in the system tray, but by doing so the whole device is stopped and a reboot is necessary to restore the reader.