Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Aug 16, 2002, 5:12 PM   #11

Nope. Haven't lost me. I was a software developer for more than 10 years and I completely understand memory boundries, buffers, read/write speeds etc.

I guess I should have looked into it more. I was just joyfully taking pics with my trusty 880 and evey time I purchased new memory ,I got faster memory, and it always resulted in faster write times. Hence great joy.

So, I just blurted out the question without really looking into it.

I'm happy to have the 24x Lexar now. 512MB is enough to hold me for a few days of taking pics. Hopefully by the time I get my next camera it will still be able to use type 1 CF, and they won't be storing data on some bioplasmic goo or something. Although the D100 / 5700 look nice... The $1,000-$2,000 / year upgrade is a little hard to swallow.

Thanks again to all for all the informed responses!
nomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2002, 5:17 PM   #12

oh- cf 1/2 isnt going to retire anytime soon.
sjms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2002, 11:41 PM   #13

Posted on 8-15-2002 at 02:04 PM sjms sayeth:

"the most important thing to remember is that digital photography is in its infancy. we have a long way to go."

Yup.

I have a historic PC magazine, on the cover it has a picture of a computer. The text reads,

"FAST AND EXPENSIVE AND WORTH IT!"
12MHz, $10,000"

'Twas not that many moons ago.

The Nikon 880 is an incredible little camera in may respects. So far this year I've take about 4,000 pics with it, and since I've purchased it, about 9,000 pics.

dSlLR's are so expensive, and devaluate so quickly. (I'm glad I didn't shell out $5,000+ for a D1 a year or two ago).

I think great joy is coming in the next fews years, but currently I completely agree with your statement.

For now, the 880 will suffice. The little camera rocks for what it is. It really does, but the exponential growth curve of techno makes me a little giddy.

Also, a special thanks to NHL

[Edited on 8-17-2002 by nomad]
nomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17, 2002, 2:30 PM   #14

wow people actually read what i put up here. sorry to here that.

[Edited on 8-17-2002 by sjms]
sjms is offline   Reply With Quote