Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Jan 22, 2004, 8:10 AM   #1

Default Need help! 1 gb Microdrive repair

I dropped an IBM 1GB Microdrive from about 4 feet off of the ground. The drive will now not mount and its obviuosly a hardware problem. I have began the proces of disassembling the drive but stopped before getting into the main case. There are quite a few companies that offer this repair or recovery but they want around 1200-1400 dollars.

At this point Im looking for a company to disassenble the drive, recover the data, and send me the images on a cd...which a lot of them do ...but Im hoping I can find someone that does this for much cheaper.

Im a single father of 2 that supplements my monthly income by shooting on the weekends. I have one image on this drive sold ...

At 1200 bucks ..im going to be out way to much cash to justify the repair ...actually I dont even have that kind of cash ...any suggestions?
cbook is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 23, 2004, 4:59 PM   #2

You've had no replies so I'll chip in. Sorry you've lost the drive.

Logic suggests that this type of drive could only be repaired by a manufacturer, since I guess the process is to somehow extract the media coated disc. Assuming it's not been ploughed into by the head, and transplant your disc into another working drive. I wouldn't attempt this on a 31/2 hard drive, let alone one of these babies. Try emailing the manufacturers for ideas, no chance of warranty I suppose, even with a bit of grovelling? There's always the faintest possibility that the head remained parked and there is damage elsewhere.

I don't know how far you went with the dissection, but it would be nice to see some macro pics of the innards. Good Luck. VOX
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2004, 3:08 PM   #3
Administrator

Here's some pics that I have.

Left to right: 340MB, 1GB, 4GB Microdrive.

-Steve
steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2004, 10:12 PM   #4

steve, are those yours? did they break or something?

cbook, sorry i couldn't help youu
bradg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2004, 8:45 AM   #5

Ah, so if you turned Steve's pic of the 4Gb drive around, they all look supeficially the same. Wonder if it uses multiple platters or denser medium? That big (small) nut thingy in the centre of the hub spindle looks like it's built to come apart with a tool. Nice to see the heads are parked. I guess cbook's drive head could be floating around in bits. Phew.... need a good binoccular microscope and tools the size of a mouse whisker!

Cameras and MD's need built in airbags which inflate as they hit the ground! VOX
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2004, 10:05 PM   #6
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradg
steve, are those yours? did they break or something?
No man, the hamster ate them :lol:

The 340MB and 1GB drives are very close to identical, the new 2GB and 4GB drives are much more shock resistant and have a much higher data throughput rate.

-Steve
steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2004, 10:52 AM   #7

Default Need Help 1GB Repair

If you still have the drive and problem. What noise does the drive make? If it's clicking, that indicates that the disk is shifted in the clamp and VERY difficult to fix (you have to move it about 20-30 MICROINCHES). If it's whining or making a bomb drop sound. I can help.
Heybruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2004, 6:32 AM   #8

My 1gb is making the whining and bomb drop sound you mention.
What can I/You do?

Cheers,
Adam.
apguk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2004, 11:59 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve
I dunno which is cuter the Hampster or the Microdrive!
Japair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2004, 8:20 PM   #10

If you have a USB 2 hookup through your camera why would one need to remove a 4 GB microdrive?

I have one on order and want to know if it is somthing I should bother with since I already have a dump tank..

http://www.archos.com/products/av300_series.html
kieranmullen is offline   Reply With Quote