Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Feb 9, 2004, 6:37 AM   #11

Thanks for all of your help.
Virus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2004, 8:17 AM   #12

Glad to give it.

For what its worth, there are other brands that I'd trust as much as sandisk. Lexar, Transcend, Delkin... all make good cards (so if you want to try a 512MB card that isn't the fastest current out there and is therefor cheaper, those brands are a good choice.)

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2004, 3:28 PM   #13

I like the Lexar cards myself, or the viking

You can get the Lexar 256MB 40X card for $46 right now and the Viking 256MBis running $39. I have not used the Simpletech but the 512MB can be had for $89.99. I have seen a lot of people having problems in Digital Cameras, PDAs with the Sandisk..
rasputinj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2004, 10:02 PM   #14
hst

Default The SanDisk ULTRA II is faster than other cards

SanDisk Ultra II card has a write speed of 9MBps and a read speed of 10MBps.

I have a Simpletec and after seeing it was slow found out it has only a 1.5 MBps Speed.

XD Cards Have a 4MBps Speed
Microdrives have a 3MBps Speed

Checking out the Write/Read speeds will definately make some cards stand out above others.
hst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2004, 10:19 PM   #15

hst

While it is true in theory, in practice very few cameras (costing thousands of dollars) can write any where near that fast. So the camera, not the card, will limit the write speed.

That is why people here generaly say that anything over 12-18x is wasted on the average digicam. In virus's case, the camera is a Canon S50. Not exactly a high end camera.

Imagine the same logic for USB. Sure, USB2 can transmit data at 400Mb per second comared to USB 1 which 12Mb on a good day... but when you attach a keyboard, it doesn't matter if its USB1 or 2, it won't be any faster.

Eric
Old Feb 11, 2004, 6:25 PM   #16

Well, I saw that I could get a Lexar 40x for the above stated price, but it was only after I found the Ultra II for $49. I realize that all of it's speed won't be utilized, but it was almost the same price as the regular so what the heck. I can always use it when I decide to buy a DSLR.
Virus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2004, 12:50 PM   #17

Default Is really the Sandisk Ultra II 256mb/512mb better in a S50?

Hi!

I would like know if Sandisk's Ultra II line worth the extra money over the ordinary CF cards regarding a Canon S50. Does S50 take advantage over this faster cards???

Thanks in advance
jorgemcsantos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2004, 4:38 PM   #18

No, the S50 won't take advantage of the faster card. I wouldn't buy an amazingly fast card with that camera. It might be slightly faster than something that is 24, but not worth the price premium.

Eric
Old Feb 19, 2004, 5:19 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by rasputinj
I like the Lexar cards myself, or the viking

You can get the Lexar 256MB 40X card for $46 right now and the Viking 256MBis running $39. I have not used the Simpletech but the 512MB can be had for $89.99. I have seen a lot of people having problems in Digital Cameras, PDAs with the Sandisk..
what type of problems?
how can a certain card have problems more then other CF cards?
tphss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2004, 5:23 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric s
hst

While it is true in theory, in practice very few cameras (costing thousands of dollars) can write any where near that fast. So the camera, not the card, will limit the write speed.

That is why people here generaly say that anything over 12-18x is wasted on the average digicam. In virus's case, the camera is a Canon S50. Not exactly a high end camera.

Imagine the same logic for USB. Sure, USB2 can transmit data at 400Mb per second comared to USB 1 which 12Mb on a good day... but when you attach a keyboard, it doesn't matter if its USB1 or 2, it won't be any faster.

Eric
True,
BUT, for example, you take alot of shots lets say on a 512MB card, and then you download like many people (and me) all the pictures from the CF card with a USB flash card reader/writer, THEN the card will really show it's advantages... and it's speeds, not having to wait alot to view the photos from the card and to download photos.

Also, I sometimes also use the CF card as a removable drive, to transfer data (along side with my USB flash reader/writer) so I assume the ULTRA II cards will show much better performance.

I personally am going to buy two ULTRA II cards tomorrow.
tphss is offline   Reply With Quote