Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Feb 7, 2012, 1:08 PM   #1

Default New SDHC won't store photos with Olympus T-10

Hi. I have an Olympus T-10 that is just over 6 months old. I recently filled up the first memory card that I used with it, which was a Sandisk 2GB card. It worked fine from the time I placed it into the camera. The manual for my camera states that it accepts both SD & SDHC memory cards. I decided to go with the Sandisk SDHC 2GB (class 4) card as a replacement. I ordered one from a seller on ebay, which was listed as new, but "bulk". (I know that this probably wasn't the best choice of retailer in the first place, but I only had a few dollars to spend, and I did at least check out the feedback on this product with the seller; it looked good). When I put the new SDHC card into my camera, it appeared to be fine when I took a few "test" photos, until I tried to view them. I only got a square box with a "no photo" message. I tried taking the card out, putting it back in, changing the batteries, etc. ... nothing changed. I tried doing some research online for an answer, and (with my very little knowledge in this matter) decided that perhaps the new card needed reformatting. I found an option on the camera to "format", clicked "yes", and the camera appeared to be working on the card. Well when it was done, I ended up stuck in the "format" menu and could not even get back to the regular screen where you can take a photo or change settings. I also (after looking online) decided to try to reformat by attatching the camera to the computer...that didn't work either. IF I chose the right option...it said that the device could not be reformatted. I put my old SD card back into the camera, deleted a couple of photos, and took new ones. No problem there. I contacted the seller who sold me the SDHC card and he offered to send a new one; he just asked that I return the one that wasn't working. I did. I received the new SDHC card yesterday, and it does the same thing. Looks fine when I place it in the camera and "take photos"...until I try to view them. Same box and "no photo" message. I don't want to try to "format" this card like I did the other one until I get some advice from someone who knows why this is happening. So, my question is (finally)...am I getting defective cards, needing to do something in particular to get them to work in my camera, or are they not compatible with my camera? I'm very sorry that this is so long; I didn't want to leave anything out, in case it was important to figuring out the problem. Thank you so much for any and all help!
gypsyrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 7, 2012, 1:32 PM   #2
Administrator

As far as I know, there is no such thing as a Sandisk 2GB SDHC card. SDHC stands for Secure Digital High Capacity, and only 4GB and larger cards are designated that way.

Sizes through 2GB are SD, not SDHC.

If you look at the card, you'll find an SD logo on it. For 2GB and smaller cards, you should see SD for the logo. For 4GB and larger cards, you'll see HC (for High Capacity) under the SD logo for Sandisk brand SDHC cards. Note the bottom logo on this page. That's what you should see on a Sandisk 2GB SD card (with no HC under the SD logo):

https://www.sdcard.org/consumers/compatibility/

For 4GB and larger SDHC cards (only 4GB or larger cards are SDHC), the logo will look like the middle logo on that page (SD with an HC under it).

Now, Sandisk cards are the most counterfeited. So, it's possible you got a counterfeit card (and if you see an SDHC logo on a 2GB Card, my guess is that it's a counterfeit, and they're using an SDHC versus SD logo to make it look like a more attractive card).

But, given that the vendor was willing to replace it for you, it seems unlikely that they'd send you a bad card as a replacement (although if it's a fake, the vendor may not realize it).

It's also possible that the card was not formatted properly using the correct file system. For 2GB cards, most cameras are expecting a FAT16 file system to be used. Using an operating system like Windows, you'd select FAT (not FAT32) if you want to format a 2GB card for use in a camera that way. For 4GB or larger cards (SDHC versus SD cards), use FAT32 instead.

In any event, I'd try formatting it using a card reader with this utility and see what you get. Then, after formatting it using a card reader, reformat it using the camera's menu choice for format and see if it works OK or not.

https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/formatter_3/
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2012, 2:07 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC View Post
As far as I know, there is no such thing as a Sandisk 2GB SDHC card. SDHC stands for Secure Digital High Capacity, and only 4GB and larger cards are designated that way.

Sizes through 2GB are SD, not SDHC.

If you look at the card, you'll find an SD logo on it. For 2GB and smaller cards, you should see SD for the logo. For 4GB and larger cards, you'll see HC (for High Capacity) under the SD logo for Sandisk brand SDHC cards. Note the bottom logo on this page. That's what you should see on a Sandisk 2GB SD card (with no HC under the SD logo):

https://www.sdcard.org/consumers/compatibility/

For 4GB and larger SDHC cards (only 4GB or larger Sandisk cards are SDHC), the logo will look like the middle logo on that page (SD with an HC under it).

Now, Sandisk cards are the most counterfeited. So, it's possible you got a counterfeit card (and if you see an SDHC logo on a 2GB Card, my guess is that it's a counterfeit). But, given that the vendor was willing to replace it for you, it seems unlikely that they'd send you a bad card as a replacement (although if it's a fake, the vendor may not realize it).

It's also possible that the card was not formatted properly using the correct file system. For 2GB and smaller cards, most cameras are expecting a FAT16 file system to be used. Using an operating system like Windows, you'd select FAT (not FAT32) if you want to format a 2GB card for use in a camera that way. For 4GB or larger cards (SDHC versus SD cards), use FAT32 instead.

In any event, I'd try formatting it using a card reader with this utility and see what you get. Then, after formatting it using a card reader, reformat it using the camera's menu choice for format and see if it works OK or not.

https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/formatter_3/
Thank you for the quick reply. If in fact there is not a Sandisk 2GB SDHC card, then I assume the 2 cards that I have received have probably been counterfeits. Here is a link to the exact same card that I have, sold my the same seller: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sandisk-2GB-...6#ht_637wt_690

I will look around at some well-known vendors to double-check that I cannot find this product (as pictured) being sold first, and then I will probably re-contact this seller again and request a full refund, including the extra postage spend on returning these card(s).

If I can't find this product sold elsewhere, then I don't see much point in trying to get it to work correctly. My desktop died and I am currently using a Dell laptop with Windows XP that does not have a slot for cards. (which is why I attatched the camera previously).

I will probably just end up ordering a new 2GB card from a trusted retailer. Is there any real difference in brand quality? Thank you.
Old Feb 7, 2012, 3:41 PM   #4
Administrator

Sandisk Cards are fine, provided they're genuine cards.

Personally, I buy Transcend cards more often as they have great "bang for the buck" and carry a lifetime warranty. For example, you can buy a Class 10 8GB SDHC Card for $9.99 delivered right now from newegg.com:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...y%20%28SDHC%29

That's not much more than 2GB or smaller SD cards are selling for:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...tal%20%28SD%29

As for 2GB SDHC cards, note the capacities for each card designation established by the SD Card Association (SDHC cards are over 2GB, up to 32GB). SD cards are 2GB and smaller. ;-)

https://www.sdcard.org/developers/overview/capacity/

Also, look at flyers and photos of cards on Sandisk's web site. You'll see an SD (versus SDHC) logo on their 2GB and smaller cards. Here's one .pdf showing some:

http://www.sandisk.com/media/416712/...sd_sdhc_r3.pdf

Also, if you look at the list of SD and SDHC cards on Sandisk's site, you'll notice that it says "SanDisk Standard SD™ (not SDHC) by the listing for the 2GB size:

http://www.sandisk.com/products/imag...and-sdhc-cards

Sandisk has a support hotline you can call. I'd call it and give them a description of the card with the serial number you should see on it and find out what they tell you about it:

866-726-3475

But, I think they'll probably tell you that Sandisk doesn't make any 2GB SDHC cards (even though I do see vendors selling cards labeled like that on Ebay), as cards with an SDHC logo on them have to conform to the specifications set by the SD Card Association to use their logos (licensing their use and insuring the cards meet the guidelines set by the SD Card Association), since SDHC cards are larger than 2GB (i.e., cards labeled as SDHC normally start out at a 4GB capacity).
Old Feb 7, 2012, 4:28 PM   #5

You were right on the money. I did in fact, call Sandisk (even before you recommended it), and it turned out exactly as you predicted. They do NOT make a 2GB SDHC card, and the serial number did not match any of their products. They are going to send me an email to explain to me how I can report the transaction/seller to them (I requested it).

Thank you for all of the great advice and links. I guess the main reason that I was trying to stick with a 2gb memory card is because of the fact that one holds over 600 photos on my camera (give or take if I take a few short videos), and it takes a very long time to search through them for something specific. I will still check out the link that you gave me though; it sounds like they have very good deals.

Thank you so much again for your help. I have been trying to figure out this issue for over a week now; I'm so glad that I found this forum. I'm off now to demand a refund (including return shipping) and make a complaint/report or two.
Old Feb 7, 2012, 4:31 PM   #6
Administrator

Yea.. Interestingly, when I search for Sandisk 2GB SDHC on Ebay, I even find vendors selling them in nice (looks like genuine Sandisk) packaging.

Again, Sandisk cards are the most counterfeited around, since they're very popular

You'd think that the counterfeiters would be smart enough to at least stick to counterfeiting card models that Sandisk actually manufacturers. But, apparently not. ;-)
Old Feb 7, 2012, 4:50 PM   #7
Administrator

P.S.

The seller may not be aware that they're counterfeited cards, as they probably bought them from a distributor claiming they're genuine that imported them from overseas (China, etc.).

Again, you'd think the Counterfeiters would be smart enough to make cards that Sandisk actually offers. But, this is not the first time I've seen listings for cards that Sandisk doesn't actually make.

For example, in January 2010, I saw some merchants listing Sandisk Extreme IV Memory Stick Pro HG Duo cards on Amazon.com, when Sandisk only made Extreme III (not IV) Memory Stick Pro HG cards. The vendors had a good reputation, too. So, they were probably fooled by the distributor they bought them from.

The cards actually worked fine and tested fine by users that purchased them, and the packaging and cards looked fine (appeared to be genuine). IOW, they were very good cards. But, they were still counterfeit cards (and Sandisk confirmed it when I contacted them and asked if they made that type of card). lol

If you want Genuine Cards, I'd make sure to buy them from an Authorized Sandisk Reseller (that way, you can get warranty service if needed, as I don't think Sandisk will even honor the warranty if the dealer is not authorized). That's because the warranty is not transferable, so someone buying and reselling them would be considered the original warranty holder (not the person they resold them to), even if they are genuine cards. IOW, to get the warranty, you have to be the original purchaser from an authorized Sandisk reseller.
Old Feb 7, 2012, 4:55 PM   #8

I guess that's why most criminals get caught, at least eventually. I just "googled" the actual name of the seller (from return address on packages sent) and found his mug shot from last year. The arrest was for 1) Fleeing & eluding a police officer & 2) Wreckless driving. Not the same type of crime, but I have no doubt that it's the same individual. This just keeps getting more interesting.
Old Feb 7, 2012, 5:00 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC View Post
P.S.

The seller may not be aware that they're counterfeited cards, as they probably bought them from a distributor claiming they're genuine that imported them from overseas (China, etc.).

Again, you'd think the Counterfeiters would be smart enough to make cards that Sandisk actually offers. But, this is not the first time I've seen listings for cards that Sandisk doesn't actually make.

For example, in January 2010, I saw some merchants listing Sandisk Extreme IV Memory Stick Pro HG Duo cards on Amazon.com, when Sandisk only made Extreme III (not IV) Memory Stick Pro HG cards. The vendors had a good reputation, too. So, they were probably fooled by the distributor they bought them from.

The cards actually worked fine and tested fine by users that purchased them, and the packaging and cards looked fine (appeared to be genuine). IOW, they were very good cards. But, they were still counterfeit cards (and Sandisk confirmed it when I contacted them and asked if they made that type of card). lol

If you want Genuine Cards, I'd make sure to buy them from an Authorized Sandisk Reseller (that way, you can get warranty service if needed, as I don't think Sandisk will even honor the warranty if the dealer is not authorized). That's because the warranty is not transferable, so someone buying and reselling them would be considered the original warranty holder (not the person they resold them to), even if they are genuine cards. IOW, to get the warranty, you have to be the original purchaser from an authorized Sandisk reseller.
I wrote the last post before reading this one. Yes, I understand that he could be unaware of the authenticity of the products that he is selling, but I guess we all have to learn from our mistakes. "If it seems to good (or cheap) to be true, then it probably is". I just wonder how many other buyers have had issues with these cards and not noticed it until after leaving feedback.
Old Feb 7, 2012, 5:30 PM   #10
Administrator

Now, the card may actually work, depending on how it's formatted.

If the counterfeiters just didn't know any better (that only cards with a larger than 2GB capacity should be setup as SDHC), they may have a card that works to capacity, but the way they defined the fields in the cards's CSD register and how the host (your camera) is trying to interpret that data is causing an issue. IOW, I'd try formatting it as both FAT16 (file system type of FAT when using Windows to do the format), and FAT32 and see if one or the other way works. FAT16 is normally used for 2GB Cards, and FAT32 is normally used for 4GB and larger SDHC cards.

But, they may have done something like formatting it as FAT16 when the camera thinks it's an SDHC card and expecting FAT32; or used FAT32 when the camera thinks it's seeing an SD Card and expecting FAT16. IOW, the counterfeiters may not have realized how to set up the card to work properly with more devices. lol

See more about that kind of thing here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Secure_...ompatibilities

IOW, even though it's counterfeit, it may work, depending on how the camera is interpreting the CSD fields and what file system it's trying to use with the card. So, some users may not have any issues with a card like that (if it really is a 2GB Card).

Again, you'd think that counterfeiters would be smart enough to at least counterfeit card types that a manufacturer actually offers, and make sure they're recognized properly and formatted with the correct file system.

But, apparently not, since you've tried two different cards and neither of them worked with your camera (which supports both SD and SDHC cards), and only cards larger than 2GB should be labeled as SDHC.