Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Feb 12, 2012, 8:05 PM   #1

Default SDHC for SD?

I have the Nikon Coolpix L2 camera. Manual only lists a max of 1 GB of SD memory. Can this camera take more memory than 1 GB? Can it use SDHC memory?
Mike89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 13, 2012, 8:04 AM   #2

To a great extent, the difference between SD and SDHC is the capacity of the card. But what goes along with that is the file system that the camera uses to manage the capacity. SD Cards use the FAT16 file system, which has a maximum capacity of about 4 GB (depending on how you count gigabytes.) In order to support capacities larger that 4 GB, a host device must support the FAT32 file system.

Nikon's list of approved SD Cards for the Coolpix L2 seems to indicate that the L2 won't accept SDHC Cards, presumably because it can't handle the FAT32 file system.

So, yeah, you're stuck with using SD Cards.

I have no doubt that you could use a 2GB card, even though no 2GB cards are listed as approved. You might even be able to format a 4GB card and use it, but I wouldn't bother.

Last edited by TCav; Feb 13, 2012 at 8:09 AM.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2012, 10:36 AM   #3

Thanks for the info. I had read the manual and saw that approved list but thought since the Nikon L2 is a little old, their approved list of memory cards might be outdated. I guess I'll look for a 2 gig SD card (I have 512 mb in it now).
Old May 8, 2012, 6:23 AM   #4
Banned

Sdhc is a card for high resolution graphics and videos. It all depend on capacity of your camera. Just try if may it possible than support and if not than unusable for its.
douglaswalkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2012, 11:02 AM   #5

I ended up buying a new camera, the Samsung PL210. Got a really good deal on it at Walmart and I absolutely love the camera. Anyway I first bought an 8 Gig micro sdhc memory chip for it. Later I bought a 16 gig micro sdhc chip for it. I then took the 8 gig micro chip out, put it in an sdhc adapter and put that one in my daughter's camera. I then took the 4 gig sdhc chip from hers that I had replaced and put it in the Nikon to see if it would work. Turns out the Nikon accepted it with no issues whatsoever.

Last edited by Mike89; May 8, 2012 at 9:41 PM.
Old May 11, 2012, 5:48 AM   #6
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike89 View Post
I ended up buying a new camera, the Samsung PL210. Got a really good deal on it at Walmart and I absolutely love the camera. Anyway I first bought an 8 Gig micro sdhc memory chip for it. Later I bought a 16 gig micro sdhc chip for it. I then took the 8 gig micro chip out, put it in an sdhc adapter and put that one in my daughter's camera. I then took the 4 gig sdhc chip from hers that I had replaced and put it in the Nikon to see if it would work. Turns out the Nikon accepted it with no issues whatsoever.
It's all because of device capability which contributed with external memory and external inputs. It is good that your all memory cards are support to your devices and working out well.
douglaswalkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2013, 10:39 AM   #7

yes, you can use SDHC up to 64GB.
dayanamo5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2013, 10:29 PM   #8

You can use SanDisk, TOSHIBA, Panasonic or Lexar memory card up to 32GB, see this guide:
https://support.nikonusa.com/app/ans...ail/a_id/16781
sammytenasha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2013, 11:06 AM   #9

You want to go for class 10 card. This guaranties a minimum speed, as well as UHS speed
https://www.sdcard.org/developers/overview/bus_speed/
New UHS II has 30mb write speed minimum.
LAngelo is offline   Reply With Quote