Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Aug 15, 2002, 8:43 AM   #1

Default another novice who needs help...

Thinking that my 3 yr old Power Mac G3 was the latest model i bought a canon A40 digicam and i am unable to transfer photos to my computer because my mac did not have a USB port (sad). I had installed a Macally PCI to USB card but the camera says it cannot use it (sad), that it must be a manufacturer's installed USB port . Can a card reader or some other gadget help me transfer the pics to my computer? If the card reader uses a USB port, can it be the Macally I had installed? I am trying not to make any more m$stakes. Thank you...Nati
Nati is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 15, 2002, 9:44 AM   #2

i find that kind of hard to believe about it requiring a mfg installed usb port. i would first contact canon about. there should be no difference since they both run off the same bus. also check the canon web for updated software and drivers.

getting a card reader is the smarter thing to do anyway. it saves your battery power on the camera for picture taking. it will also be a faster xfr. sometimes keeping it simple is the best thing. your reader will show up as another drive in the system and your shots will be sittig there waiting for you to xfr by draggand drop and enjoy.
sjms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2002, 2:23 PM   #3

thanks sjms. I am going to continue researching now with sandisk. But just for your info, the usa.canon.com site says in specifications to the canon powershot a40, and i quote "mac requirements: interface: usb: cable connection via camera's usb port is limited to genuine apple computer brand models with a built-in interface" I think it is sort of the same for windows. On the same site, under driver download, software updates there is nothing to download for a canon a40 using a mac. Canon emailed me saying "unfortunately one of the camera's requirements is a mfg installed usb port" I am going to see if my computer will accept a sandisk flash card reader.
Thanks for being there.....Nati
Nati is offline   Reply With Quote