Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Jan 29, 2004, 4:41 PM   #11

I would go with the 12x. The camera is probably faster than the 4x (i.e. it would slow the camera down.)

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2004, 4:44 PM   #12

Thankyou so much Eric for your help...I think I will go with the Lexar 12x 256mb compact flash card.
baby_c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2004, 11:53 AM   #13

Eric, on the Lexar 12x 256mb Compact Flash card it says USB enabled...what does this mean?
Old Jan 30, 2004, 1:42 PM   #14

Quite honestly, I have no idea. Maybe it comes with a cheap USB reader? A CF card is just a card... it doesn't have a USB port on it. I'd almost bet its some dumb marketing person putting a buzword on it, except that (I think) you have to pay a little rights to put the USB logo on a device... so I don't see why they'd do it.

Are you buying it locally or mail order? Do you have a link to the item? That would be the best way to tell.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2004, 2:40 PM   #15
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by baby_c
Eric, on the Lexar 12x 256mb Compact Flash card it says USB enabled...what does this mean?
Lexar first started using this term years ago, when they came out with their "USB Jumpshot" Card Reader. In fact, I can remember when they packaged this reader free with some of their larger cards (at the time 128mb was large).

This reader only worked with Lexar "USB Enabled" CompactFlash cards. My assumption (which may or may not be correct), is that these Lexar Cards had some special circuitry in them to act as USB devices (more smarts in the card, versus the card reader).

Of course, this is only an assumption. It could be that Lexar's Jumpshot Card reader (and supporting drivers) was only allowing Lexar brands to work.

After Lexar introduced them this way ("USB Enabled"), for use with their "Jumpshot" reader, I think they've been this way ever since (in all sizes).
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2004, 2:44 PM   #16

Thankyou for your replies.

Does the this effect the card in any way? Does it make a difference?
Old Jan 30, 2004, 2:47 PM   #17
Administrator

Probably not (unless you happen to have one of the early Lexar "Jumpshot" card readers, that only worked with Lexar's "USB Enabled" cards).

I've got an old one around my office somewhere, but it hasn't been used in years (I quickly bought different readers, that worked with more than one brand of card).

Edit/Update:

What do you know? I just did a quick google search, and came up with a review on this site. Steve indicates that these cards have a USB Controller built in.

http://www.steves-digicams.com/jumpshot.html

Again, unless you are using a Lexar Card Reader that requires these cards, it shouldn't be a problem.
Old Jan 30, 2004, 2:50 PM   #18

Jim, which compact flash card would you recommend out of Lexar, Sandisk, and Viking? or do you know of any other compact flash card besides these that are really good?
Old Jan 30, 2004, 3:03 PM   #19
Administrator

Well, I've never had a problem with a Lexar product, and they do have a 5 year warranty.

Unfortunately, it's hard to say which card is better. Manufacturers tend to switch component suppliers frequently (controller manufacturers, memory cell manufacturers, etc.).

Ron GalBraith has a CompactFlash Database that goes into some of the edge stamps used by Lexar. In some cards, they may be using Toshiba Single Level Cell Memory; when in other cards, they may be using Toshiba Multi-Level Cell Memory (less expensive to manufacturer).

Controller manufacturers also vary between card batches. So, there is no real good way to tell which card is best (because you don't have anyway of knowing what components were used by the packaging).

Here is an article where he discusses some of the differences:

http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/mul...e.asp?cid=6007

I've had good luck with products from Lexar, so would not hesitate to recommend them -- just bear in mind that their component providers and types can vary (as will the components used by other manufacturers, too).

Lexar also has a utility (Image Resuce) designed to repair problems with their cards, so I consider this a plus in their favor:

http://www.digitalfilm.com/dynamic-f...cc/rescue.html

Although (knock on wood), I've never had a card problem using a Lexar product. I've got Lexar cards that have been used for years with no problems.

As for Sandisk, I would avoid their products "like the plague". But, others have been perfectly happy with them. I've seen too many recent problems reported with their Secure Digital Cards in some cameras.

I have no experience with Viking (other than some memory purchased for a PC years ago).
Old Jan 30, 2004, 3:09 PM   #20

Thankyou JimC for your help...I think i'll go with Lexar.