Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Jan 27, 2004, 1:41 PM   #1

Default Is Viking a good brand?

I wanted to know if Viking is a good compact flash brand.

Which one should I get out of Sandisk, Lexar, or Viking?

Thankyou for your response.
baby_c is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 27, 2004, 3:43 PM   #2

I think you should get Lexar.
I owned all 3 brands, all worked fine, but I think Lexar has the least compatibility problems with different brands of cameras.
Burl1201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2004, 3:58 PM   #3

I use viking and sandisk. Both brands have served me well.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2004, 5:46 PM   #4

Thankyou so much for your reply.
Old Jan 28, 2004, 9:26 AM   #5

I don't own a Viking (I own 2 Lexar's) but I have heard decent things about them.

Not the fastest, but reliable.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2004, 1:05 PM   #6

Eric, what do you think about Lexar since you own 2?
About how many pictures does a Lexar 256mb card hold?
Because I saw on a website that for a 4 megapixel camera it only holds like 130 or something like that, and i've seen other compact flash cards that hold about 320 for a 4 megapixel camera. I was thinking of getting Lexar but if it only holds about 130 pictures on a 256mb I don't think it's worth it.
Old Jan 28, 2004, 5:58 PM   #7

A 256MB card is a 256MB card. Size wise, they are all the same.

The number of pictures that can fit on a card is only an estimate because no picture is the same size when stored to the card.

This is because of how JPG compression works. Pictures with lots of parts that are very similar (sky, painted walls) will compress more than pictures with lots of details (landscapes, lots of people with different clothing infront of a brick office building.)

So don't worry about it that way. Worry that 256MB is big enough, don't worry that you'll be able to store more on brand X's 256MB card vs. brand Y's 256MB card.

I'm very happy with my 2 Lexar cards. I've also heard good things about their customer support (I generally support companies that treat their customers well, as opposed to ones that don't. I'll even spend a bit more for that.)

You don't mention which camera you have. Most consumer grade digital cameras don't write data faster than about 12x or so. Getting something beter is usually a waste of money (unless you expect to buy something better in the future or will use it in other things, like a MP3 player.)

I hope that helps.

Eric
Old Jan 28, 2004, 6:45 PM   #8

Thankyou Eric for your response, I truly appreciate it.
I'm planning on buying the Canon Powershot S400 and I wanted to buy a 256mb compact flash card along with it. I think i'm going to go with Lexar. At the beginning I was planning on going with Sandisk but I heard that its a pretty slow card. Thanks again for your help.
Old Jan 29, 2004, 12:33 AM   #9

Glad to help.

The original "SanDisk", with no additional words or speed rating, is very slow (you heard right.) Amazingly slow. They do make faster ones, with silly monikers like Ultra, Ultra II, & Extreme. All those cards are much faster than a S400 will ever take advantage (some of the fastest cards made, actually.) If Lexar makes a middle of the road 12x or so (even a bit faster... 20x?) that is probably a good buy. It might be a bit faster than your camera will use, but it will be a quality brand without way over paying for speed you won't use.

Eric
Old Jan 29, 2004, 12:42 PM   #10

I was looking at a Lexar 4x 256mb compact flash card...do you think the s400 would take full advantage of that card?

I also saw a Lexar 12x 256mb compact flash card

Which one do you think the s400 will take more advantage of?