Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Jan 27, 2004, 3:25 PM   #1

Default 256 SD Memory Card from Delkin, Panasonic, Lexar or Transcen

Hi folks, I'm looking for SD card with fasters writing speed, as I'm buying Minolta F200 and would like to have possibly shortest recovery time after shooting in Burst mode.
Does anyone have some experience with 256 cards of these brands and could give me some advices which one have faster writing speed? or maybe you know some site with performance tests? Any help would be highly appreciated.
sensovision is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 30, 2004, 10:03 AM   #2
Administrator

Three manufacturers jointly developed Secure Digital: Panasonic, Sandisk, and Toshiba.

If you are using a different manufacturer's Secure Digital (even if they manufacturer other types of memory themselves), they are most likely using rebranded components from either Panasonic, Toshiba or Sandisk.

In 256mb size, I'd suggest avoiding companies using Sandisk Standard Secure Digital. These cards are not even considered to be compatible in the new Minolta DiMAGE G500 by Konica-Minolta (causing slow startup, memory errors, corrupted files, camera malfunctions with errors, and failures to format). They are very slow cards.

Panasonic's Standard Secure Digital Cards in 256mb and 512mb size are rated at 10mb/second (smaller cards are slower). These are around 5 times as fast in card readers, compared to Sandisk's Standard 256mb Cards (or manufacturers using Sandisk Components).

I'd suggest using one of these 3 in 256mb size:

Lexar "High Speed 32x" 256mb Secure Digital (I've read that these are using Panasonic Components in 256mb size). I've also seen users with the newer Minolta G500 report no problems using this card.

Simpletech Standard 256mb Secure Digital (rated a 10mb/second, per their specs). I've also read that these are using Panasonic Components. Again, I've seen users report no problems with this card in the G500.

Panasonic 256mb Secure Ditital (10mb/second). These are the "real thing", so you are sure to get a faster card. In fact, in 512mb size, this is the ONLY SD card approved by Konica-Minolta for use in the new G500. Also, there are specific warnings about using the Sandisk 256mb Card in this model camera from the manufacturer (Konica-Minolta).

BTW (as Konica-Minolta found), I have seen a wide variety of problems reported by users attempting to use cards with Sandisk Components in 256mb size (Minolta G500, Canon SD100, HP 850 and others).

These cards seem to be too slow to function reliably in some cameras (or may have some other problem impacting compatibility). The cards using non-Japanese components seem to be the worst offenders, with more problems.

BTW, I've also seen problems reported from one user of a Transcend 256mb SD in Konica cameras (intermittent corrupted files, even though he was formatting the card in the camera prior to each use). So, these may be using Sandisk Components. Unfortunately, there is no way to tell for sure.

Although I have no way to verify the information for sure, here is a post regarding the components used by some SD providers:

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...essage=6455498

BTW, here is a compatibility chart for the new Minolta G500. See note 8 for the warning about Sandisk Cards:

http://www.minoltausa.com/eprise/mai...ity/DiMAGEG500
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2004, 2:42 PM   #3

Default Thanks

That link helped. Think I'll get a panasonic card, if I get the camera, that is...
alph seeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2004, 2:50 PM   #4
Administrator

You may also want to look at the newer Minolta DiMAGE G500. I'm not sure where you are located at, but it's also known as the Konica Revio KD-510z. Basically, Konica-Minolta decided to market it under the Konica name in Asia and Europe; and under the Minolta name in the U.S.

It doesn't have all of the features of the DiMAGE F200. However, it does have quite a few.

Here's a comment from someone that owned the F300, and needed a replacement camera. I suggested that he try the G500 instead.

"I did what you mentioned. I got the G500 for a couple of days, used it, and loved it. Compared to the F300, it's faster, the photos have a greater range of tones, it's sturdier and easier to use. I've even played with a few of the images with Photoshop Elements, and the enhanced version I create still is outmatched by the original.--which really surprised me. Thanks for the great information, and for leading me to the details on how to customize the menu options."

See the posts from user 1574kc in this thread at megapixel.net:

http://www.megapixel.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=8536

BTW, you can see some photos from mine at this link:
http://www.pbase.com/jcockfield/konica_kd510z
Old Jan 30, 2004, 4:23 PM   #5

thanks Jim! finally you bring a bit more light on this issue. Now I have only two cards to choose from Panasonic and Lexar(Previously I thought about Transcend since it's easy to get here but now I doesn't take it as an option).
Since I didn't find any shops selling Panasonic here I probably get Lexar, ther is two cards avaiable:
Lexar Secure Digital 256 Mb
Lexar Hi speed Secure Digital 256 Mb 32-x speed
second one is only 10 bucks more...
so if I find no Panasonic I'll get this Lexar Hi Speed, and hope it will serve well

As for G500 I believe it's great camera for everyday use, it has robust performance although lack of manual contols, that's why I decide to go for F200, hopefully shutter lag wouldn't be so scary as some people write about it :roll:

And thank you once again for the post, it was really helpful!
Old Jan 30, 2004, 4:26 PM   #6

by the way some time ago I've got reply from Minolta support, I've asked them same question as here, and this is reply I've got:
Quote:
Thank you for contacting Konica Minolta Digital Technical Support.

Please find below a list of cards for this camera which we recommend.

Panasonic

TOSHIBA

San Disk
seems that they just list primary brands... although didn't give any reccomendations on speed. So their reply isn't really helpful anyway...
Old Jan 30, 2004, 4:49 PM   #7
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sensovision
As for G500 I believe it's great camera for everyday use, it has robust performance although lack of manual contols, that's why I decide to go for F200, hopefully shutter lag wouldn't be so scary as some people write about it :roll:
The main reason I ruled out the Fxx series was startup time and zoom controller speed. You may want to try one out in a store first, to see how well you like it (it feels pretty slow).

As far as manual controls. Yes, the Fxx series has more manual control. However, the G500 is not without some. It does have a manual exposure mode that's pretty easy to use. The main problem is that it doesn't offer the fine control of aperture that you get in the F100/F200/F300.

You get a choice of two apertures (with their values varying depending on the amount of zoom used). However, you have very fine control of shutter speed. The camera also lets you know how your choices impact exposure using a built in meter (showing you EV from -2.0 to +2.0 in 0.3EV increments).

So, it's like having a built in light meter.

However, to be frank, I rarely see the need for manual exposure anyway (due to the tremendous depth of field you get from such a small lens, I usually only use it for closeups and macros).

It's also got lots of other settings:

User Adjustable ISO speed (50, 100, 200, 400), Contrast, Saturation, Sharpness, Color (separate settings for red, green and blue channels), flash strength, and more. Also, you can tie these settings to a user profile.

The customizable controller keys are pretty nice, too (you can easily toggle through white balance options, EV Compensation, Fixed Focus Choices, Flash modes, etc., without using the menus.

Anyway, if you want to learn more about the G500, simply check out my Konica album at http://www.pbase.com/jcockfield/konica_kd510z

You'll see links to my user review (where I go into the features of the camera in more detail).
Old Jan 30, 2004, 4:56 PM   #8

Quote:
The main reason I ruled out the Fxx series was startup time and zoom controller speed. You may want to try one out in a store first, to see how well you like it (it feels pretty slow).
unfortunately there is no shops who sell it here... I've found onyl two shops in whole Ukraine who has this model in stocks but this is just because they priced it 520 USD...
I've called to Minolta and they said that F series will not be delivered to Ukrainian market since it wasn't widely used...

as for my choice on F series I really wish to learn manual controls and how it's work. Anyway even if I change my mind for G500 (I've study it deeply as well and even consider to buy it but later decide not to do this) I can't change anything since camera is ordered and fly to me over the ocean So please not scare me so much with it's slow speed :P :roll:

Hopefully I can accomodate to it's speed after X20 which is very speedy from what I see...
Old Jan 31, 2004, 9:09 AM   #9
Administrator

Well, it depends on how you will be using the camera. If you like to take lots of landscape photos, etc., then it may be an excellent choice (especially given it's very full feature set, with lots of user control).

The Fxx series startup time does run around 5 seconds, and it's zoom controls are extremely slow.

However, I take most of my photos at full wide angle anyway, so this may not even be a concern to many users.

I just wanted to point out some of the cons of this series. Using a fast camera can "spoil you" (when you go to one that is much slower).

Unfortunately, there is no perfect camera! Each model will have it's own set of strengths and weaknesses.

The lens quality of the Fxx series is extremely high! So, as long as you are aware of it's limitations, then it may be a good choice for you.

As far as Minolta G500 availability, this model is also being marketed at the Konica Revio KD-510z. So, you may be able to locate the Konica version instead, if startup times and zoom speed are a consideration for you.

Basically, the G500 will startup in 1.3 seconds (as long as you are using a compatible Secure Digital Card). It's zoom speed is also lightning fast (you can go from full wide angle to full zoom in around 1 second). It's a very responsive little camera and takes outstanding photos.

It's photos also require the least post processing of any camera I've owned (and it's my 7th Digital Camera). The "straight from the camera" photos are nothing less than outstanding in my opinion.

I would not trade mine for any other subcompact model on the market today.

Now, if you take a lot of low light photos at higher ISO speeds, then the F200 would be a better choice. It's 4 Megapixel Sony 1/1.8" CCD will have lower noise at higher ISO speeds, compared to the Sony 5 Megapixel 1/1.8" CCD in the G500.

This is because the photosites for each individual pixel are larger in the 1/1.8" 4 Megapixel CCD.

There are pros and cons to any choice!
Old Jan 31, 2004, 3:33 PM   #10

Quote:
Well, it depends on how you will be using the camera. If you like to take lots of landscape photos, etc., then it may be an excellent choice (especially given it's very full feature set, with lots of user control).
yup, that's my favourite type of photos

Quote:
I just wanted to point out some of the cons of this series. Using a fast camera can "spoil you" (when you go to one that is much slower).
hmm I'm not sure but it seems that my cameras become slower all the way Because my first camera (not sure if anyone heard or remeber of this model) was Pentax EL-C90 which was remote bodypart with LCD and another part for camera itself, was pretty big but since it have no zoom and fixed focus it's startup was less than 1 second...
my second camera(Mustek MDC 3500 as well with fixed lens) was a bit slower although it's still was around one sec.
So I have some difficulties with shooting(especially in low light conditions) because camera try to focus and it takes extra time to which I didn't accomodate since my previous cameras just shoot after clicking the button. But with time I get used to this delay...

Quote:
As far as Minolta G500 availability, this model is also being marketed at the Konica Revio KD-510z. So, you may be able to locate the Konica version instead, if startup times and zoom speed are a consideration for you.
yeah both models avaiable here and both cost around 500 USD even after discount

Quote:
Now, if you take a lot of low light photos at higher ISO speeds, then the F200 would be a better choice. It's 4 Megapixel Sony 1/1.8" CCD will have lower noise at higher ISO speeds, compared to the Sony 5 Megapixel 1/1.8" CCD in the G500.
actually you got me on this llately I've some obsession on nightshots... previously I choose between Nikon 4300 and Pentax Optio 555 and Minolta F200 but when I saw these photos: http://www.pbase.com/wtfgary/hk_night_folder
I've understand that F200 is what I'm looking for.

By the way returning from offtopic to original question have you ever heard of memory from Infineon? as I've got their 16 mb MMC card and compared it's speed with Transcen 32 SD and Panasonic 8 SD. Panasonic was fastest, Transend a bit slower and Infineon really slow(I guess it's because it's MMC not SD)... so I just wonder if it's known if this manufacturer rebrand someone or do memory using own researches?