Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Apr 7, 2012, 8:24 PM   #1

Default Cannot read Micro SD HC for Olympus Stylus Tough-8000

Hi-
After taking hundreds of vacation pictures, my sister's camera randomly became unable to access the Micro SD HC card. When we got home, we found that our PCs are unable to access it too. They just don't even acknowledge that a card has been inserted.

This particular micro card is housed in an adapter that appears to only fit the camera, an Olympus Stylus Tough-8000. I bought a different adapter by PNY so I could actually put it into an SD card slot and read it from there, rather than through the cable that came with the camera. That's when I ran into the problems with being unable to read the card as I mentioned in the first paragraph of this post.

I followed an old thread religiously where Jim C. helped a user with a similar problem:

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/me...sdhc-card.html

I followed the instructions, yet it would appear that in MEPIS (I used 8.0.15 - which I believe is the latest), it is also unable to find the card in the drive.

One odd thing with MEPIS, though, is that when I booted into it, it never took me to a screen with any icons as Jim mentioned in that old thread's directions, and instead just took me straight into the Terminal Program. So I was unable to ever view Storage Media or any of that stuff.

I just followed the commands, and when I ran the fdisk -l command, it didn't appear to list my card.

Please let me know if there's anything I can do to remedy this problem, whether it be something else with MEPIS or some other solution.

Thanks in advance!
LoppyLlama is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 8, 2012, 11:07 PM   #2

Yes the card adapter you have to use in the Olympus Tough series only fits those camera as those camera were ment to use xD cards and micro SDHC so the slot is made for xD size cards. So your memory card reader doesn't have a dedicated micro SD slot? Thats how I read my micro SD cards into my laptop. Also make sure the card is well seated in the SD card adapter your putting into your PC.

Also try using a pencil eraser on the silver contacts of the card to make sure dirt has not gotten on the contacts.

Whatever you do until you have recovered the images do not write tot he card or reformat it.

dave
Photo 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2012, 12:16 AM   #3

Photo 5-
Thanks for your response. The PC I'm using has 4 card slots, none of which are specifically for micro SD cards. Just plain-sized SD cards (so therefore I use the adapter).

When I bought the PNY SD card adapter to put the micro card into, it also came with its own micro card (also PNY brand, obviously). Just to make sure the problem wasn't the reader or adapter, I tried out the PNY micro card that came with the PNY adapter and it recognized it just fine. I was even able to copy photos onto that card from the PC, so I could write to it.

I also tested the PNY micro card with the adapter that came with the Olympus camera, and I was able to take photos and save them just fine.

So I know for certain that the problem is specific to the micro SDHC card itself.

The eraser trick didn't appear to work. I have definitely avoided writing or taking any photos with the problematic micro SD card to avoid further complications.

Is there any further advice that you or anyone else would be able to give?

Thanks again for your help with this.
Old Apr 21, 2012, 6:13 PM   #4

Hello all-
I am still trying to resolve this problem, so if anyone is able to offer any further input it would be greatly appreciated.

Not sure if Jim C is still around here somewhere, but he seems to have a pretty good grasp on this stuff.

Regardless, if there's anymore advice to give in my quest to retrieve these photos, I would be extremely grateful.

Thanks in advance!
Old Apr 21, 2012, 7:43 PM   #5

Did you try what JimC wrote here:

Recovering Images or Video from Memory Cards
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2012, 11:22 PM   #6

Yes, I checked that out and was unsuccessful. Half the battle is getting the PC to recognize the card is even in the slot. My reader doesn't acknowledge my problematic micro card, yet if I put a different micro card in the same adapter, the reader finds it just fine.
Old Apr 25, 2012, 7:59 AM   #7
Administrator

Not all card readers are SDHC compatible (many of them only work with SD versus SDHC cards). So, I'd try using photorec with a PC that does recognize the card OK, making sure to use the "Whole Disk" option when you get to the screen with that choice, preferably with a reader that directly supports a Micro SDHC card without the need for an adapter so that you're getting a better connection to it.

If the PC still doesn't see it and you're using a USB attached reader, try a different USB port (for example, back versus front of the machine), as sometimes you'll see voltage differences between USB ports that can cause problems reading failing media because sometimes a failing component draws more power.

If it still can't read the card due to I/O errors (versus file system corruption which is the most common issue), then there are other ways to approach it. See this post for using a utility called ddrescue with a Linux Live CD to make a disk image copy of a failing card, then using photorec to read through the disk image it makes:

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/me...tml#post882107

But, try photorec using the whole disk option first with a machine that recognizes the card and see what you get, as described in this post:

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/me...ory-cards.html

If you see i/o errors (read timeouts, buffer errors, etc.), let us know and I can try to talk you through using other utilities like ddrescue to get a good [as possible] copy of the card to recover images from. But, that kind of approach is rarely needed (only when the card has physical errors versus a file system problem).
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2012, 10:41 PM   #8

Thanks for your response, Jim!

Well, first thing's first. Looks like I'm gonna have to pick up an SDHC compatible disk reader before moving forward. The PC I'm using doesn't have a micro disk slot (hence my need for the adapter), so I'm gonna pick up a USB reader tomorrow.

Any personal recommendation for a certain brand/type of disk reader?
Old Apr 25, 2012, 10:58 PM   #9
Administrator

It will probably work OK in the adapter, as a Micro SDHC to SDHC adapter is only mechanical and doesn't have any electronics.

But, the PC will still need to have an SDHC compatible reader in it (and some older readers are only able to read SD versus SDHC cards), or you'd need a USB attached reader capable of handling SDHC cards.

Brand of reader, huh? Nah.. no preference. I've got a few cheapo readers right this minute, including a multi-card reader that was preinstalled in a Dell Desktop, and some cheap USB readers bought from newegg.com, as well as one bought from my local Staples that has Micro SDHC and SDHC slots along with slots for other card types like CompactFlash and Memory Stick Pro Duo. I also have laptops and netbooks with built in SDHC slots.

If I were buying a brand new one, I'd probably go with a USB 3.0 reader that's fully compatible with the latest SDXC UHS-1 transfer protocols, too. For example, something like this one, as it gets good customer reviews (click on the Customer Reviews tab in the listing to see them), and it's inexpensive for a USB 3.0 reader supporting the latest transfer protocols:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...=REG&A=details

Note that USB 3.0 readers will still work with USB 2.0 ports (but, you don't get the faster speed). Most cards are not fast enough for USB 3.0 to make much difference anyway (as the card speed is usually the bottleneck unless you're using a very fast CF or UHS-1 Compatible SDHC or SDXC Card), since USB 2.0 is usually good for around 30MB/Second or so (and most cards are not that fast). But, I'd still go USB 3.0 if spending much on a brand new reader to help with faster cards as time passes.

But, you should be able to find a really cheap USB 2.0 reader that will work with SDHC and/or Micro SDHC cards for very little money locally. Or, if the reader in your PC is not SDHC compatible, perhaps a friend has a laptop or desktop with one in it you could use temporarily (just install photorec on it and see if it can recover the images for you).
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2012, 12:55 AM   #10

Excellent, thanks for the helpful advice! I'll swing by Best Buy or some electronics store after work tomorrow and find a reader that's comparable. I figure it wouldn't hurt to buy one just to have anyway since I don't have one specifically for micro cards. Plus I enjoy surrounding myself with all sorts of different tech for all occasions.

Then I'll start giving photorec and ddrescue a run when I get home and see what I come up with and post back here what I discover.

Thanks Jim!