Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Apr 20, 2012, 4:53 PM   #1

Default Compact Flash for the new 5D Mark III and problem with "Light Leak"

Does anyone recommend what will be the best or good compact flash card for the 5DM3.
I was at Samys camera earlier today and the sales show me the 32GB Scandisk Extreme and the Pro series, the cover only saids UDMA enabled. But it doesn't say what class? So which one I should get? Extreme and the Pro has huge price different.

PS: Sadly to say Canon confirmed that the camera has "Light Leak" problem.
I haven't tested mine and will do it tonight.
http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/suppor....mc_id=C126149
mbworldz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 20, 2012, 6:13 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbworldz View Post
I was at Samys camera earlier today and the sales show me the 32GB Scandisk Extreme and the Pro series, the cover only saids UDMA enabled. But it doesn't say what class?
The "Class" is only for SD Cards. CF Cards have no Class.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2012, 6:18 PM   #3

Hello TCav,

Thanks for the reply. So does it mean i can just get the scandisk extreme will be good enough for the 5DM3. That is even cheaper than the pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCav View Post
The "Class" is only for SD Cards. CF Cards have no Class.
Old Apr 20, 2012, 8:16 PM   #4

First, in my experience, SanDisk and Lexar make the fastest, most reliable flash memory cards.

Second, between them, get the card with the fastest write speed. The SanDisk Extreme Pro is available with 100MB/s, UDMA-7, 667X or 90MB/s, UDMA-6, 600X. The fastest Extreme (non-Pro) is 60MB/s, UDMA-5, 400X.

Lexar doesn't quote write speeds, but their CF cards are available in 3 speeds based on their read performance. The Lexar Professional 1000X, 600X and 400X product line is roughly equivalent to SanDisk's.

The Canon 5D Mk III is a formidable camera. Don't hobble it with a card that's too slow.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2012, 2:08 AM   #5

Do you think the Scandisk extreme is good enough with scandisk extreme ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCav View Post
First, in my experience, SanDisk and Lexar make the fastest, most reliable flash memory cards.

Second, between them, get the card with the fastest write speed. The SanDisk Extreme Pro is available with 100MB/s, UDMA-7, 667X or 90MB/s, UDMA-6, 600X. The fastest Extreme (non-Pro) is 60MB/s, UDMA-5, 400X.

Lexar doesn't quote write speeds, but their CF cards are available in 3 speeds based on their read performance. The Lexar Professional 1000X, 600X and 400X product line is roughly equivalent to SanDisk's.

The Canon 5D Mk III is a formidable camera. Don't hobble it with a card that's too slow.
Old Apr 21, 2012, 9:44 AM   #6

get the fastest card you can afford........ If you can afford the pro card than get that one.

dave
Photo 5 is offline   Reply With Quote