Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Jun 21, 2012, 11:36 AM   #1

Default Memory card went all wonky, can't be read, HELP???

I'm getting nowhere with Kodak (literally, their support E-mail us isn't responding/sending), and found this forum. I know just enough about computers/electronics to get myself into trouble, so please be kind and use ... um... short words

Kodak CD93 camera (EasyShare, but I don't do the Easy Sharing), 1GB Kodak SD memory card 31141-1GBCMKA 2608C. Been using for years - only problem was that uploading from camera to computer via USB would skip some pictures, had better luck with using the card directly in card slot on computer. I do NOT use a camera dock or printer dock.

Yesterday, I tried to upload from card via card slot. Suddenly, card had a ton of unrecognizable folders, mostly named "&". Those folders contained more folders named "&" or "&&". PIctures were nowhere to be found. Ejected card and tried again. Computer would not recognize there was a card. Tried to read it via camera. Camera would give message that card needed to be formatted and then that formatting would delete everything on card. Card has very important photos that may have to be used in lawsuit! Tried rebooting computer, still does not recognize card. Gave it a day... still doesn't recognize the card. The only thing I did differently on any of these was that I added the time-stamp function on some of them. There were a lot of pictures (couple hundred or so), but not so full that I was getting warnings. Batteries were running low, but not to the point where the camera was turning itself off in protest. I was just going to upload everything and then switch the batteries out (fresh ones were recharging)

HELLLLPPPPPP! I really need to save these and I don't know how to if the computer doesn't realize there's a card in the slot and the camera only wants to reformat it!
StealthBunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 21, 2012, 11:46 AM   #2
Administrator

See if photorec can recover them. Just because the card doesn't show up under "My Computer", doesn't mean it's not being recognized at all (for example, it may be visible under Disk Admin). See this thread for instructions on using photorec:

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/me...ory-cards.html

If it can't see the card at all, then you may want to see if the card is being recognized as a block device using some of the linux utilities capable of making a block by block (a.k.a, sector by sector) copy of it, even if the file system is corrupted.

It sounds like you saw warning signs of a file system issue a long time ago when trying to copy images from the camera. Have you been reformatting the card at all from time to time?

Hopefully, it's just a corrupted file system and the card is still OK electrically.

Personally, I reformat my cards prior to *every* reuse using the camera's menu choice for format. No exceptions. That way, I always start out with a fresh FAT (File Allocation Table), just the way the camera expects it, since it's performing the format. That helps to reduce unnoticed file system corruption issues that can cause issues later.

But, cards do fail from time to time, too (usually the controller electronics), although file system corruption is the most common cause of problems.

In any event, follow the instructions in the post I linked to and see if photorec can get them back for you. If it is not recognizing the card, let us know and there are some other things we can try (which will involve downloading a free linux distro and burning it to CD, then booting into it and running some commands to try and make a disk image copy of the card that you can recover images from using photorec).
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2012, 12:35 PM   #3

My dos background is years and years old, and it wasn't very firm then either. At first it said the scan would take 7hrs, then it was done in about three minutes. No files saved, then there was a .xml report in the folder I had set up for it to save into. Drat - I can't even copy/paste from the photorec screen to show you...
StealthBunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2012, 1:05 PM   #4
Administrator

Did you use the "Whole Disk" option, as suggested in that thread? Basically, after you select the source media, and partition table type (and I'd use the defaults for that), you'll come to a screen that shows you any partitions on the source media.

At that point, you can use your up arrow and select an option that's labeled "No Partition" on the left, with "Whole Disk" on the right. Use that instead of the default in case the partition table is corrupted.

Try that and see what you get. If that doesn't work, I can talk you through downloading a free linux distro that you can burn to CD and boot into with a utility called ddrescue designed to make a block by block copy of failing media (and it will make multiple passes to try and get the best copy possible). It can be very useful with borderline drives and memory cards. Then, once you get a disk image copy of the source card, you can run photorec against the disk image and recover your images from it, since the disk image wouldn't have any physical errors in it (only file system problems).

Try the Whole Disk choice with Photorec first and let us know what you get. If that doesn't work, I can try to walk you through a more sophisticated recovery approach, since it sounds like the card is being seen by photorec (that's a good thing, meaning the controller isn't "dead" in it, so you may be able to get a disk image copy that you can recover images from). IOW, the same technique I mentioned on the last page of this thread:

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/me...ialised-3.html

It's not hard. I'd just have to talk you into downloading and burning a Linux distro with the appropriate utilities to CD and booting into it. Then, I'd ask you do use a few commands and post the results and I could give you the specific commands needed to make a disk image copy you could recover images from. But, again, see if using the Whole Disk choice with photorec works first.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote