Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Feb 3, 2004, 2:03 PM   #1

Default Why not 30Gb

There is a question that has been lurking in the back of my mind for a while. Most people here have probably heard of the Ipod mp3 player. has a 30Gb harddrive with usb/firewire connections built into it. My question is why can't camera manufacturers build one of these into a camera. Cost, technology,licensing? Personally I would be willing to spend a bit more on a camera that had this type of storage capacity built in (no cards to buy) Does anyone know why? :idea:
lazarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 3, 2004, 5:49 PM   #2

Personally, I'd like to see cameras acting as usb host, so I could connect drives and media of greater choice. If you can get the camera makers to first provide a controller and high speed interface down 2 or 3 wires, then the rest is not dreaming - the camera stays small, or docked to 3rd party storage, or linked to it carried in your pocket! Isn't this how solid state or HD storage should work for moviecam as well?

I'm sure Bill G. would love to licence MS apps for cameras! VOX
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2004, 9:52 PM   #3
NHL

I think we've touched on this before... If a manufacturer can provide the driver to support an 802.11x CF card (or a bluetooth enabled cellphone) then we can bypass everyone and just shoot everything right off to a remote PC with unlimited storage capacity... The D2h seems to be on the right track in this area!
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2004, 6:03 AM   #4

I seem to remember that camera manufacturers made a big thing once about their own branded media - even customising card formats, and don't they do lucrative licensing deals on the formats?

If camera makers see their own media as a big money earner (even if its only their name on a Sandisk), then I can see much possible resistance to offering connectivity to 3rd party storage possibilities.

I suspect the reason the music players have it, is their products are pc based and come from smaller innovative companies who don't need yet to lock in the media and player. A similar thing is happening with hard disc TV recorders. In some cases you can remove a small drive and go put in a really big one. But some manufacturers are now doctoring their HD's so you have to buy upgrades from them. The HD industry was also talking about embedding unique encrypted data on each drive, to allow rights management software to work. VOX
Old Feb 5, 2004, 7:30 AM   #5
NHL

Default Re: Why not 30Gb

It's been done (twice)!

http://www.archos.com/products/fam_p...byojcy4bc3fykf
Old Feb 5, 2004, 8:33 AM   #6

Hey that looks really smart. The camera looks to be 'dockable' to the 20Gb HD with its own GUI controller. I wonder what the 3.1Mpix still cam performance is like. VOX
Old Feb 5, 2004, 9:03 AM   #7
NHL

I've looked into their products before but it did not support my microdrives!
Hopefully the newer 300 series (up to 80G) fix this minor roadblock...