Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Aug 16, 2002, 11:31 PM   #1

Default How to enable Panorama mode on SM card? (PNY Card Reader)

I've read a lot about how to enable Panorama mode on SM cards. But, I've only read about it being done on Smartmedia readers that use the program SMprep.exe.

I have a PNY Smartmedia Card Reader. It just plugs in via USB and it becomes like another hard drive. Is there anyway I can enable Panorama mode with this reader?

I have a Olympus D-40 Digital Camera.

Thanks!
Vinh Sam
quailbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 16, 2002, 11:38 PM   #2

Check book, think only pano with Olympus card.
G
Gary Senkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9, 2002, 4:08 PM   #3

quailbert,

All SM readers look like a mountable drive to the PC, so I doubt that yours is any different. Most readers come with SMPrep somewhere on their driver disk: if not it's pretty easy to find on the web. All it does is a low-level format of the card and the "kludged" versions do no more than write "OLYMPUS PAN 1.0" into the card's boot sector.

I recently saw Olympus-branded 64 Mb SM cards on sale at a UK airport at £80! I buy them for £17 and I've converted them all to use Panorama mode without the slightest problem. IMO, Olympus are perpetrating a huge rip-off on their customers and every Olympus owner has a positive duty to convert the cheapest cards they can buy!

fenlander
fenlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9, 2002, 4:17 PM   #4

is it a ripoff? or just standard marketing techniques by todays standards.
sjms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9, 2002, 6:01 PM   #5
lg

Quote:
I recently saw Olympus-branded 64 Mb SM cards on sale at a UK airport at £80! I buy them for £17 and I've converted them all to use Panorama mode without the slightest problem. IMO, Olympus are perpetrating a huge rip-off on their customers and every Olympus owner has a positive duty to convert the cheapest cards they can buy!

fenlander
Well, I can't say that I agree with you there! I bought 2 64MB Olympus brand Smartmedia cards for $56, which comes out to $28 each. Now I'm not sure what the exact exchange rate is now but isn't that pretty close to the £17 you paid? Perhaps you just aren't shopping in the right places. If I'm wrong, please let me know...
lg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2002, 4:10 AM   #6

In fact, the only place I've seen Olympus branded cards on sale in the UK is in airport lounges where they are at premium prices. There are plenty of outlets for other brands at much more reasonable cost.
What I object to is the fact that the panorama functionality is all in the camera's firmware and in the software supplied with the camera. There is nothing of consequence on the card except a flag to let the camera know you've bought more Olympus kit. You've already paid for the function when you bought the camera, so you should be able to use it without contributing further to Oly's coffers every time you buy memory.
How would you feel if you bought an automobile that would only change gear if you'd filled it with Ford gas?
Old Sep 10, 2002, 8:25 AM   #7

Seeing you brought ford into play, There was a legal decision as ford tried to "use our airfilters to keep warrenty valid. Believe this was between K&N and ford. Believe the decision was that manufacter would have to supply them for free, use our ink or ............
$$$$ drives the train, not saving us $$$
Gary
Gary Senkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2002, 6:18 AM   #8

Hi,

I have an PQI reader, and there is no SMPrep delivered - I haven“t found it neither on the CD-ROm nor on my PC after installing it. I have tried it with Win98 - where I had to install it - and with Win2000, where I just had to plug it in to work with it. but on both systems there is no SMPrep. Does anyone know how to enable the panorama mode with PQI readers?

Thanks!
peyami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2002, 9:13 AM   #9

peyami,

First, take a look at
http://www.geocities.com/roberthaus/pan/

This article will give you all the info on using SMPREP to add the pano header.

If you haven't got SMPREP, or don't fancy the hex editing, Ive posted a file at:
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/fenlander/smprep.zip

This zip file contains 3 versions of SMPREP as supplied with my Jessops (Zio?) badged reader. SMPREP.EXE is the original, unmodified version. SMPREP1 and SMPREP2 are modified versions as described in Robert's useful article.

I decided I had little to lose by trying this on the 16Mb card that came with my camera, since it was too small anyway to be much use. It worked fine.

In another forum, I have seen it reported that a DAZZLE reader works OK with the same version of SMPREP.

Try it at your own risk (but not on a 128Mb card...). What do you have to lose?
Old Sep 17, 2002, 7:11 AM   #10

Hi Fenlander,

thanks for your reply and the SMPREPs - unfortunately we had already tried to make it work with them before - but our reader doesn“t work with them. We also have etsted the 3 SMPREPS with another reader (a single slot reader, but also PQI) - with the same result. Seems as if the PQI readers need a trick which we unfortunately haven“t found yet...
peyami is offline   Reply With Quote