Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Apr 5, 2004, 8:39 AM   #41

Default only 2gb of 4gb hitachi microdrive 'seen' by my d100

Hi

Just bought a white hitachi 4gb microdrive from '5 star store'. In a card reader, it formats FAT32 with 4gb freespace. In my d100, it only shows 214 frames raw - 634 fine jpeg. Anyone know why my D100 formats the drive with only 2gb available?

Cheers - stephenh

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve
Be careful of that "buy the Muvo and remove the Microdrive" thing, I've heard that there is some non-standard interface mods done to the drive. Just FYI, not sure if true or not. I just picked up a new 4GB Hitachi microdrive from an eBay'er for $330. Works great in my Nikon D100, now it says I can take "1.2k" pictures on the data LCD.

That's 33 rolls of 36-exposure film that would be needed to take 1200 pictures. Figure a cost of $7 per roll of film and a minimum of $8 per roll for processing that's about $495. Now who says that digital is more expensive than film ? :twisted:

-Steve
stephenh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2004, 9:48 AM   #42
NHL

The D100 formats in FAT-16 ?
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2004, 10:42 AM   #43

No, the d100 formats the microdrive as FAT32... I've been playing around with the computer management consol in windows XP but I can't extend the partition that the d100 sets. I can only do that for NTFS formated volumes. I'm guessing it just worked for other people who have tried the 4gb microdrive in a d100. The firmware in my d100 is version 2.0... I wonder if that is the problem. Nikon's compatibility matrix shows the d70 as compatible with the 4gb drive. :?: :?
Old Apr 12, 2004, 7:14 AM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve
Yes the 4GB microdrive works just fine in 30fps movie mode in the S1 IS.

How long is the delay with this drive and the S1 when taking still photos? I'm looking at the camera and drive for my daughter to use on a trip. Is this the way to go?

kcrouch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2004, 10:53 AM   #45

Default Re: only 2gb of 4gb hitachi microdrive 'seen' by my d100

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephenh
Hi

Just bought a white hitachi 4gb microdrive from '5 star store'. In a card reader, it formats FAT32 with 4gb freespace. In my d100, it only shows 214 frames raw - 634 fine jpeg. Anyone know why my D100 formats the drive with only 2gb available?

Cheers - stephenh
Perhaps you need to turn it over and use the other side :lol:

Fadinglight
Fadinglight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2004, 9:28 AM   #46

Default tried that

Tried that but the B side pictures weren't as good. :shock:

Linux came to the rescue and formatted the drive with one 4GB partition. The drive is good for volume but slow in my D100 compared to my Sandisk 256 Ultra II. I'll keep the drive for extra space on holidays etc. but Ultra cards are the way forward I think - especially for nature or sports photography. I haven't been slowed down too much taking wildlife pictures yet - but I like to see the preview quickly. The Hitachi might be faster on the new D70 - I've heard the D70 is quick to write.....

Stephen.
Old Apr 18, 2004, 11:32 AM   #47

Default Madwand

Just a quick note about the 4GB speed. Elsewhere, it's noted and measured that performance improves a lot if the drive is formatted with 32K sector size instead of the default 4K size. This brings the performance at least back up to the 1GB's performance.

I also hear a lot of retailers and other saying that microdrives are a lot slower than flash memory cards for intuitive reasons, but see that when this is analyzed more closely, that that's often found to be untrue -- some flash memory cards, especially cheap ones, are much slower.

There are some tradeoffs for the capacity/cost benefits -- power consumption and mechanical instability (sensitivity to altitude / temperature / shock / shorter life due to moving parts). But surprisingly, speed isn't necessarily worse (which actually means that the standard flash cards are surprisingly slow).
Madwand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2004, 8:08 AM   #48

Default ipod

The problem now is finding any muvo's for sale at the regular price. They are going like hotcakes. I wonder if the market is driven entirely by people trying to get the HD out of the unit. As far as I can tell everyone prefers the ipod to the muvo for its original purpose. Creative Labs seems to be selling Hitachi drives in fancy cases...
jake_rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2004, 8:29 AM   #49
NHL

Default Re: ipod

Quote:
Originally Posted by jake_rock
As far as I can tell everyone prefers the ipod to the muvo for its original purpose...
Check this out: http://www.visualit.co.uk/simpletunes.htm
... and yes the 4G works in the PDA too

:lol: :lol: :lol:
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2004, 8:01 AM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHL
Steve

How about performing your magic on the Mini iPOD as well... Theses devices are shipping today (in multiple shining colors!). http://biz.yahoo.com/rc/040220/tech_apple_pepsi_1.html

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Don't do that !!!
Unfortunatly the microdrive in the mini iPod is not the complete one. On the 2 interfaces to communicate with them only one is implemented. For our own chance this is the one not supported by digital camera
Cabu is offline   Reply With Quote