Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Apr 27, 2004, 3:58 PM   #51

Default Fuji S7000 >>NOT 4gb Compatible!<<

Yet another S7000 anomaly.

After receiving my Muvo2 and going thrrough the steps to extract the Hitachi 4gb nothing I did got me away from 'Card Not Initialized' (incl Fat32 format from Windows, in camera format etc.)

I called Hitachi tech support. Their first question was 'microdrive size?' '4 gb'

Tech said absolute max for Fuji S7000 is 2gb. Insisted. Game over.
GregC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27, 2004, 9:09 PM   #52

Am I glad i read this GregC...
I'm thinking of buying the Fuji S7000 and either a Magicstor 2.2Gb or the Muvo2 4Gb.

Steve,
Could you test the Hitatchi 4gb (as you have both the drive and the camera ) for me and GregC.

P.s.
Except for extracting the Microdrive from Muvo2, what else do you have to do? Do you have to format it?

Thanks!
skuliaxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2004, 8:35 AM   #53

I would NOT reccomend the S7000 to anyone. It's just too different from 'main brand' cameras in the same price range.

No control over amount of jpeg compression, xD memory - the 'Beta Max' of memory formats, is both fragile and expensive.

As far as the MuVo2 goes, this link has the best detailed information I have found including format instructions:
http://www.pcconsultant.com/microdrive.htm

I have heard, but not tested, that the Hitachi 4gb can be formatted FAT16 and then be used as a 2gb drive in the FS7000. What a waste.

This whole 4gb drive thing bothers me anyway. Shooting 4gb will certainly require several battery changes. If you have to carry spare batteries it makes sence to carry a couple of 512mb or 1gb CF cards. CF is faster, more reliable and most importantly, placing 4gb of photos on ONE piece of media is really putting all of your eggs in one basket.
GregC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2004, 11:56 PM   #54

Well I purchased the s7000 and up until last month I loved it. I won't go into the other details of my camera disappointment, but for now I'm thoroughly upset I trusted several postings on ebay for the 4gb hitachi, listing my camera as one being compatible. Had I searched outside of all the ads, I would have eventually found that my camera only supports FAT16. But I was in a hurry and left for Hawaii that week and wanted something at that time for cheap. Yes, haste makes waste. Now I am aware that I will only have 2gb to use, but I cannot figure out how to partition this darn thing with Win2k. Computer Management recognizes it as a removable disk not a fixed disk; therefore, won't allow me to delete the partition. And of course, I can't partition it then. So Greg (or anyone else), what have you heard about how you can partition this otherwise useless item to me? I can't seem to find that answer tonight on several MBs.

:?Thanks!
hikingal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2004, 9:01 AM   #55
NHL

GregC wrote:
Quote:
This whole 4gb drive thing bothers me anyway. Shooting 4gb will certainly require several battery changes. If you have to carry spare batteries it makes sence to carry a couple of 512mb or 1gb CF cards. CF is faster, more reliable and most importantly, placing 4gb of photos on ONE piece of media is really putting all of your eggs in one basket.
I agree... It's not for everyone!

The 4G Microdrives are best when used with cameras capable of shooting in RAW, where the larger image files can fill up the smaller cards in a jiffy on 1 battery charge. They are overkill for folks shooting in JPEGs... It's also a pain to sort through thousands of shots not counting the longer download time.

The trend however is larger and larger drives though (ie lower cost/MB): http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...99&forum_id=52
I've also read in PCShopper that people now buy MP3 players with hardrive as one of their priority... not flash!
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2004, 11:18 AM   #56

well... I am on the lookout for a 4GB drive myself (would like more so I can film several hours of 640x480 fine 30fps Canon S1 IS video in one shot, but I can only afford to spend $275 including shipping right now, and my $200 250GB hard drive is going bust.

hmm... looks like I'm paying less for 250GB than for 4GB... :?::P:evil::sad::-x:X:angry::x:ak47::flame::shock:
pianoplayer88key is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2004, 4:11 PM   #57

I just bought a Muvo2 from Dell for $199 delivered and received it last Thursday. To my good fortune the 4GB drive works perfectly in my Coolpix 8700. I love it and it was cheap. They had over 130 in stock at the time, but no guarantee that the microdrive would work. They must have gotten them from the distributor, not directly from Creative Labs on this shippment. The harvesting process was easy, thanks to good advice online. Good luck.
David 8700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3, 2005, 4:52 PM   #58

David 8700 wrote:
Quote:
I just bought a Muvo2 from Dell for $199 delivered and received it last Thursday. To my good fortune the 4GB drive works perfectly in my Coolpix 8700. I love it and it was cheap. They had over 130 in stock at the time, but no guarantee that the microdrive would work. They must have gotten them from the distributor, not directly from Creative Labs on this shippment. The harvesting process was easy, thanks to good advice online. Good luck.
Quote:
I GOT4GB WILL WORK WITH S7000 (7:00pm EST Thu Jun 23 2005)
After trying everything under the sun, I finally found a little program called OnBelay. I used this program to format the Hitachi 4gb microdrive (in FAT32, no less). I plugged the drive straight into the computer (it has a handy dandy digital media manager with all the slots for various cards).....anyway I plugged it in and did a Full Format, put the card in the finepix s7000 and WHAMO!!!!! It was fully functional. I now get 470 or so pictures at the best quality setting. Which seems about right since the 512 xd got about 52. Anyway, hope this works for you guys. - by Krime
mick69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2005, 2:34 PM   #59

hi everybody,

i bought creative muvo2 for hitachi microdrive but when i insert the microdrive in my camera gives "Memory Card Error" Has anybody same problem. How can solve my problem.

Camera Model: Canon S1 IS (Firmware Latest Version)

Microdrive Model:
HMS360404D5CF00 (4Gb Hitachi Microdrive)

nemeia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2005, 2:42 PM   #60

Just got myself the SIX Gig version from Dell. (With Coupons, tax and shipping... $199.00 AND there is a $30.00 Mail in rebate. So... 6 GB Microdrive for $169.00)

The best part is, the 6 GB is even faster than the 4 GB...

The 6GB Microdrives can be used in most digital cameras equipped with a CompactFlash Type II slot or a PC ATA Type II card slot with adapter. Microdrives use a newly designed read-write head that is half the size of the one used in previous Microdrives. This equates to a 40% decrease in the height at which it travels over the disk platter. Other significant technical achievements include a data transfer rate increase that represents a 50 percent improvement from the previous-generation Microdrive. Hitachi engineers estimate that the new Microdrive's data transfer rates are faster than all competitive solid-state data storage products available today. They are also much better protected against G-shock damage.

Digi SLR is offline   Reply With Quote