Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

View Poll Results: Would you buy this flash?
No 16 100.00%
Yes 0 0%
Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

Old Feb 11, 2004, 7:09 AM   #1
NHL

Default "Consumable" Flash - Shoot & Store

Great! - Use once... :?

Quote:
... thus giving millions of consumers a major incentive to switch from film to digital photography and providing them with a durable, permanent way to store a lifetime of images...
http://biz.yahoo.com/bw/040211/115283_1.html
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 11, 2004, 10:19 AM   #2

I wonder why people feel the need to have consumables? <sigh> Disposable electronics technology.
Gandalf065 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2004, 10:22 AM   #3

I voted no, because it's an crazy idea to use the card just once.

Where i see a possibility for the card is as a cheap backup card, you can carry always with you, and if for some reason your usual card fails, you can always continue on your cheap backup write once card.
Marc H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2004, 10:41 AM   #4

If the price gets down to something like 15% of standard memory cards, I would consider it. Would certainly have a handfull for emergency use at that kind of price, but otherwise, no.
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2004, 12:05 PM   #5

Throw away memory cards would have to be very cheap. I can remember that when CD disks cost $11 each and now you can purchase them for less than 10 cents each. It may be possible. The one great advantage of digital is that you can erase bad photos as you are shooting.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2004, 4:16 PM   #6
NHL

From the poll # so far... Somebody must have done a very poor marketing reseach!
Quote:
Under the marketing plan, SanDisk will sell 32 megabyte memory cards for about $15. SanDisk executive Kent Perry said he expects the price to fall to about $10 later this year.

Similar cards typically sell for about $20 to $25, although few memory makers sell them at that size, since cards three and four times larger can be purchased for less than $100.

However, SanDisk on the cover of its packaging, markets that 32 megabytes disk as big enough to hold 50 pictures. That would only be true with cameras at a low resolution of 1 megapixel.

Most digital cameras sold are at least 2 megapixels, which can take only 34 pictures, and at 3 megapixels, that 32 megabyte card will only hold about 19 shots. With high-end models of up to 5 megapixels, which are becoming increasingly affordable, the card holds only 11.

Perry acknowledged that the "50 Pictures" figure might be a bit confusing to average consumers, but noted that a chart detailing the comparable capacity is on the back of package. In future, SanDisk is likely to adjust the card's size to meet customer needs, and expects to hold the price constant.

"Our initial push is in food and drug stores where they sell a lot of 1 megapixel cameras, and the initial thought was to pair this with (those) cameras," he said. "Now that distribution is spread out and (some stores) are not selling 1 megapixel cameras, it makes this sell a little harder on 50 pictures."

"We will have to come up with a higher capacity card at the same price point," Kerry said."

The company said it intends later this year to offer 64-megabyte cards -- which it says will hold 100 pictures -- at an initial price of about $25.
http://biz.yahoo.com/rc/040211/tech_sandisk_1.html

Who has 1Mp camera left?
Haven't they seen the next crop of 8Mp cameras on the next aisle @ PMA? :lol: :lol: :lol:
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2004, 4:19 PM   #7

NHL

I agree.

Phil
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2004, 4:40 PM   #8

"From the poll # so far... Somebody must have done a very poor marketing reseach!"

The crowd here is not who they are thinking of selling those cards to - how many people here bought a digicam at a drugstore and thought it was a Real Good Camera? Though at ten bucks it might be fun to duct tape a drug store digicam to a kite - if you could figure out the shutter release. http://www.ai.mit.edu/people/wtf/kite.html is kinda interesting.

The kind of situation a that kind of memory would be usefull is an unusually long vaction. Where you know you will want to shoot more than your current amount of memory won't be enough. That is also when I wouldn't want to spend time squinting at a little LCD figuring out which ones to delete.

Price will detemine if the write-once memory is something I want. Gotta be cheap.
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2004, 2:03 PM   #9

How permanent, in a few years when technology either changes to a new format or it is no longer made and readers become hard to find you will have another pile of usless plastic in the house.

I'd put this right up there with 8-track tapes for storage, they worked but try to use one now.
PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2004, 3:11 PM   #10

One of the nice features of digital is never having to say more film please. I like the idea that I can buy my media once and use it many times, over and over. It's like taking 10 pictures on a 24 exposure roll and then going "ok, now what do I shoot to finish off the roll so I don't waste exposures". No, reusable is best for me!
ohenry is offline   Reply With Quote