Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Jan 9, 2013, 1:12 PM   #11

IDK myself I'd just bring a laptop instead of investing in some stand alone device, especially since you would like to look at the images too.

That or as others have said a tablet would be another option. If you go android you can generally have an expansion slot for adding microSD. Don't own one?

The Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 is only $149 refurbished at Walmart

http://www.walmart.com/ip/22217170?a...l5=pla&veh=sem

That is cheaper than the wolverine thingy and will give you something that is useful for much more than just keeping backup copies of your photos. You will need a card reader like this http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-EPL-1P.../dp/B005TJPFBG but at $4.50 that's not a big cost concern.

p.s. looks like the white tablet is out of stock the grey one is $10 more but in stock. My daughter has one and she loves it fwiw.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/21142087?a...l5=pla&veh=sem

Last edited by ramcewan; Jan 9, 2013 at 1:14 PM.
ramcewan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2013, 5:16 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoturtle View Post
iCloud strong and kicking with apple, and dropbox is doing well, as mention skydrive is very sound as well.
So far. The others were all doing fine right up until they suddenly weren't. If you're willing to trust them, fine. I'm not.

brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2013, 5:24 PM   #13

I trust my iCloud. I doubt they will go away anytime soon. But I only really use the cloud for temp uploads. I alway download everything when I get home to my NAS drive.
Old Jan 9, 2013, 5:29 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramcewan View Post
The Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 is only $149 refurbished at Walmart
It only comes with 8GB of memory. For $149, that's a lot more expensive that the free 7GB he can get from SkyDrive. And on a dollar per GB basis, it's a lot more expensive than any of the Wolverine products.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2013, 5:32 PM   #15

But the wolverine is a one purpose device, the tabs has way more usefulness. But I would not get a tab with less then 16gb. It just makes things work better with more memory.
Old Jan 9, 2013, 5:35 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCav View Post
It only comes with 8GB of memory. For $149, that's a lot more expensive that the free 7GB he can get from SkyDrive. And on a dollar per GB basis, it's a lot more expensive than any of the Wolverine products.
It has a microsd card slot, 16gb is $12
Old Jan 9, 2013, 5:38 PM   #17

on a side note with cloud service, if you are an apple user. And alway leave you mac on at home when you are away. You can set up photo stream to download automatically to you aperture or iPhoto library. So when you get home all the photos is in you photo editor or manager. Pretty safe in my opinion of not losing photos for the service shutting down.
Old Jan 9, 2013, 5:45 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoturtle View Post
But I would not get a tab with less then 16gb. It just makes things work better with more memory.
Storage memory doesn't affect performance, ram does but storage and ram are different. 8gb onboard is plenty for android system and apps. Grab a couple of 16gb cards for storage or a 32gb and you have plenty of backup and ability to add another as needed. If you need more than 32gb they do also make WiFi hard drives now.
Old Jan 9, 2013, 5:50 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramcewan View Post
It has a microsd card slot, 16gb is $12
So you're suggesting that he transfer his photos from the CF or SD cards he uses in his 5D Mk III to MicroSD cards in his Tablet? Why not just skip the tablet and buy a bunch of SD Cards?
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2013, 6:08 PM   #20

Actually with with droid, all apps are stored on the internal memory as it wont let you put apps on the external ad. The lower memory ones have slow operations with allot of apps if you are running. I has a temp droid phone with 8gb of memory, with allot of apps on it, just has issues. That is why I would not get anything with less then 16gb, it does make everything run more smoothly.