Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Mar 16, 2013, 9:41 AM   #1

Default PC Built-In Reader Or Stand Alone Reader?

I have a Dell 620 PC, which has a built in multi card reader. I'm not very happy about the upload speeds, even using "fast" cards.

Would I be better off with a stand-alone reader, connected via the USB port? If so, any recommendations? And, somewhat embarrassed about this, how can I find out if my PC supports USB2 or USB3?

There you go, multiple questions for the effort of one post. Pure economy!
slioch is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 16, 2013, 10:07 AM   #2

Perhaps, it is not your PC and the card reader to be blamed, it is the site that slows the upload.Stev'es site is painfully slow to upload but when I load to a site like dpr it is quite fast with the same PC.
wanaclick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2013, 10:23 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by slioch View Post
I have a Dell 620 PC, which has a built in multi card reader. I'm not very happy about the upload speeds, even using "fast" cards.
If you're talking about "upload" as in transferring pictures from your memory card to the computer's hard disk, your hard disk may be fragmented, or your card reader might just be slow.

If you mean the time it takes to upload pictures to the internet, it may be your internet connection speed.

Can you elaborate on what you're dissatisfied with?

Quote:
Would I be better off with a stand-alone reader, connected via the USB port? If so, any recommendations? And, somewhat embarrassed about this, how can I find out if my PC supports USB2 or USB3?
Your Dell computer has a "Service Tag", a 7 character code, on a sticker on the back or bottom. If you go to http://support.dell.com/ and enter the Service Tag, you'll have access to the specifications and manuals for your computer.

The chances are against it supporting USB3, but you can install an expansion card for it. But it probably supports USB2.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2013, 12:08 PM   #4

Sorry, I wasn't specific about what I meant by upload: the problem is transferring from card to hard drive on the PC. I never try to go direct from card to website, as I'm largely working in RAW and have editing to do.

And thanks for the tip about the code: it is a USB2 connection.
slioch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2013, 1:20 PM   #5

Quote:
Sorry, I wasn't specific about what I meant by upload: the problem is transferring from card to hard drive on the PC. I never try to go direct from card to website, as I'm largely working in RAW and have editing to do.
RAW files can be very large, so I'm not surprised that it takes a while to upload your files, but it's not unlikely that the built-in card reader isn't the fastest either.

Do you still have the camera's USB cable? If you do, try uploading your files that way once to see if there's much difference in performance. (Plug the cable directly into one of the USB ports on the computer, instead of into a USB Hub.) If that works better, then you oshould probably get yourself a seperate card reader. (If it doesn't, you've got a different problem.)
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote