Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Feb 14, 2004, 11:34 PM   #1

Default Compact flash card for Canon powershot S400

Hi,

I have recently bought Canon powershot S400.

I would like to buy a 256MB compact flash card. I am confused about the speed of the card.
Does Sandisk Ultra or Ultra II really increases the speed for this camera or it will be utilized like normal card.

Please help.

Kapil
kapilgupta is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 15, 2004, 9:12 AM   #2

Here is Canon's response:

Thank you for contacting Canon product support.

The only feature on our cameras that will utilize the high speed rated Compact Flash (CF) cards is the Continuous Shooting feature. Unless this one feature is of extreme importance to you, you will honestly be wasting your money on a high speed rated CF card. The CF cards that come packaged with our cameras do not have a speed rating. I recommend that you purchase a CF card with the memory capacity in mind, not the speed rating.

I hope that this helps. If you need further assistance, please respond at your earliest convenience.

Personally, I bought the Ultra II for my S50 because it was only $59. Lexar is also on sale for about the same price plus a $15 mail in rebate. I bought mine before the sale. ecost.com.
Virus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2004, 9:54 AM   #3

Hi,

Thanks for your response.

I found Lexar for 59 as well on this website.

How do you compare this card with Sandisk ultra II for
- speed
- and quality.

Thanks in anticipation.

Kapil
kapilgupta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2004, 3:19 PM   #4

Unfortunately, I'm a newby, but from the info that I've gathered from many other forums, the Lexar is the better of the two. The normal SanDisk memory seems to be of lower quality than many other standard cards, but the Ultra II seems to be on par with the faster bunch. Here is the Lexar link on ecost.com. It's $62 plus a $15 mail in rebate so it'll only be $47. They charge a $4.95 handling fee, but offer free shipping. UPS ground which is free only took 2 days.

http://www.ecost.com/ecost/shop/detail.asp?DPNo=140078
Virus is offline   Reply With Quote