Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Feb 18, 2004, 11:56 AM   #1

Default Photos won't show up on PC, but are on the camera/ vice-vers

Hi all,
Well, I got my new Nikon 3700 and a 256 dane-elec sd card. Also got a small (?) problem. All of a sudden, a majority of the files (photos, movies and sound) dissapeared from the camera - only the most recent 20 shots were viewable. Hooked to PC, the "missing ones" are there and DL fine. The more recent ones don't show up on the PC! Have talked to Nikon, and I am going to see if this duplicates with the "starter card" to see if it is a camera problem, or possilbly just that card. I hope it will work out, but my first concern is to get the remaining 20 files OFF the camera and onto the PC. Can anyone help me with this? Any thoughts on why this happened?
Much advance thanks,
Mike
alph seeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 18, 2004, 10:21 PM   #2

I got confused reading your post.. I think this is what you're saying..

1) You took some photos, videos and sound
2) You plugged the camera/card into the computer
3) The photos, videos and sound are now on the computer
4) The photos, videos and sound are not not on your camera.
5) You've taken more photos, which are on the camera..

Is this correct?
Also, What operating system is your computer using? ( windows 95/95, Windows 2000/XP, Mac OSX, Linux.. etc.. )
PlatinumWeaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2004, 11:11 PM   #3

No, actually the problem occurred and then I hooked up to the PC to find that the first 3/4 of the files taken showed up on the pc (the ones not visible on the camera), while the last 20 files (the only ones viewable on the camera) do not show up on the PC.
Something else I notice: There are 4 folders visible on the pc - 2 for movies/pics and 2 for sound files. Clicking the first pair of folders opens files, while clicking the second pair merely opens the first again (same files). It's like there are two 'ghost folders.' I don't know if the second 'ghost folders' are what hold the files I can't see on the PC or what.

If I take more photos, they also view on the camera, but not the PC.
PC is Dell Windows 2000 Professional. Camera in Mass Storage Device mode, as required in the manual.

Any ideas anyone?!--Thanks.
Old Feb 19, 2004, 8:28 AM   #4

How did you copy the folders/files from the card? I assume it was a straight D/L from the camera or do you have a card reader?

Does your camera create new folders on each new day? If so you have to go back into the menu and select the other folder to view those images.
videobruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2004, 5:12 PM   #5

I DL'd straight from the camera. An update: I was able to use a recovery program to get the remaining 20 files off the camera, so now I can do some fiddling to see if it happens again. I think I'll first delete the files, then try shooting some more. Then I will re-format the card, esp. if the problem happens again. I am considering returning the card. Does anyone know if this is a common problem (yet perhaps infrequent?) I'm just wondering if it's this card, or if it can happen to any card at any time, then maybe never happen again.
Old Feb 20, 2004, 6:37 AM   #6

........How did you copy the folders/files from the card? I assume it was a straight D/L from the camera or do you have a card reader?..........

videobruce asks an important question to solve your problem!

If you use software that came with the camera it may be MOVING files from the card then deleting them? This is not healthy. If the usb transfer fails, the pc might think its transferred files ok then wipe your card. Also you may unknowingly be selecting some files for MOVING from the card and not others - so some get deleted, leaving others behind. Most files deleted in this way are actually recoverable. But you risk fragmenting the card.

The golden rules are:

Make sure file transfer is always COPY - NEVER MOVE.

AVOID letting the PC write anything back to the card - but DELETE ALL FILES in a directory is usually o.k

Check immediately the files are transferred, that they can be opened on your HD.

If they are camera originals, RENAME and do a global write protect access. Re-check the saved and renamed files are openable on your HD.

FINALLY, Delete ALL files on the camera card - and occasionally do an in-camera format.

AVOID reformatting a card using the pc unless you really know what you are doing!

If you think you have replicated directories on your card, what are the properties in respect of file and directory size?? This sounds like a operating system quirk, are duplicated files really on the card?

I use a card reader most of the time, and I trust that more than what I might see with the camera software - which I dumped 2 days after installing it! VOX
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2004, 9:08 AM   #7

alph seeker

Reformat you card in the camera. Did you do any post editing on the photos that you can see on the pc directly on the card? Did you do post editing and then copy the files back to the card? If you do any editing on the pics while on the card or transfer them back to the card, you camera can not see the files.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2004, 11:39 AM   #8

Thanks for the suggestions, etc. I can see how the various methods of DL, or doing file manipulation can cause wierd stuff to happen, but this problem started before I ever hooked the camera to the PC, simply put, I was just using the camera and the card for the first "card load" of shots, viewing them as I went along, day by day, and on about the 3rd day of using the camera, all of a sudden, the first 44 or so shots were simply not visible. But the most recent 20 were.
It's like the camera (or card) started recording anew (in a new folder?). I could tell from the available pictures left, that the memory used so far was not available, so wasn't worried that they were deleted. Sure enough, I hook to the PC, and (thankfully) the shots are there. But the 20 that I could still see on the camera were not there. And still aren't - including every shot I've talken since the problem showed up. The only way I was able to get those last 20 was with a recovery program. So, now I plan to delete all files on the card (in the camera) and take more shots. If those shots are not visible on the PC, then I will reformat the card and try to duplicate the problem. My gut is telling me that once I reformat the card, it will work fine. But it worked fine for 2 days before the problem happened, so I think I will ditch this card while the sale is fresh. I am not seeing experienced digi-users out there respond with: "that can happen to any card at any time - here's how to fix it when it does.." so I expect this is a bunk card. Also, I just took a bunch of shots with the starter card that came with the camera, and everything is normal with that card.
Hmmm....