Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Feb 20, 2004, 5:35 AM   #21
NHL

Tiff or RAW can benefit from faster CF cards... unlike jpegs where the camera can buffer up several shots and parse them out to slower flash cards, the raw or tiff output immediately overwhelm the camera buffer with their large files! ops:

However, contrary to RAW, tiff does not offer as many advantages over jpeg beside not being lossly compressed, and why the files are so big (larger than RAW), and slowing your camera down: http://wharvey.homedns.org/wharvey/tif_jpg_results.htm

You're also not preserving the integrity of the "negative": the in-camera "developing" of the picture has already been performed and the pictures are saved like jpegs, in 8-bit format. RAW allows mutiple options in processings (ie like having multiple cameras loaded with different films), tiff is constrained like jpeg to a camera vendor choice, noises and all... beside tiff can be obtained from the smaller RAW output later @ the PC (and with a higher 16-bit too)! :?
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2004, 8:28 AM   #22

I realize this is a slight digression, but humor me.

NHL

have you considered writing up a post about how to process RAW files? What converter do you use? What settings do you find work (generally) and what do you have to tweek to recover from X or Y? I keep thinking of using RAW, but the time I dabbled in it I didn't get nearly as good results as I'd have liked. I still have so much to learn that although jpg costs me in some ways I keep learning in others so it doesn't seem worth the extra complexity.

If I switched to RAW, I'd have to get some more storage (back to the thread.) I agree with you that these huge CF cards are really for a limited market (pity, that'll keep the price up); either RAW users or people who go out into the really wilds of the world with limited power access (so a portable hard disk or laptop won't be enough.)

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2004, 10:56 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric s
I realize this is a slight digression, but humor me.

If I switched to RAW, I'd have to get some more storage (back to the thread.) I agree with you that these huge CF cards are really for a limited market (pity, that'll keep the price up); either RAW users or people who go out into the really wilds of the world with limited power access (so a portable hard disk or laptop won't be enough.)

Eric
Solar Powered Battery Charger?!?!?!?!

is there a way i can get the RAW converter for photoshop (for free )
you know what....i'm gonna look for that thread bcoultry posted a couple weeks ago......had a bunch of places to go for photoshop stuff.......
photosbyvito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2004, 11:08 AM   #24

Photo shop has one built into the latest version.

The one for PS 7.0 costs money.

But you camera will come with one, so you could use that.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2004, 11:35 AM   #25

hmm......the one that came with my camera isn't very good....lol.......unless i'm missing the real one.....well.....in Outdoor Photographer the RAW converter the guy used in one of the articles (to expand tonal ranges) was the one in Photoshop....i would've like to use that......i'll look up how much it is......
but like ohenry was saying in the other thread.......if you shoot in RAW just to change it in photoshop instead of using the right exposure and stuff right then and there.......i mean.....i could use Jpeg and get wat i want using the correct shutter speed and exposure.......just if there are more good things about RAW other than being able to fix mistakes in the field than i might think about using it......but until then i'll just use Superfine Jpeg.....
photosbyvito is offline   Reply With Quote