Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Nov 5, 2013, 6:19 PM   #1

Default Can't copy from photo frame.

I came here because I found another question about a photo frame from several years ago. I have a Smartparts photo frame that is five or six years old. I gave it to my mother with family pictures on it. Now my mother is gone and I changed computers and lost the original folder with all the pictures.

I would like to copy the pictures from the photo frame to my computer or an SD card or a thumb drive or something. I can't find a way to do it. My Mac doesn't recognize it, a friend's PC didn't recognize it, and the system at Walgreen's didn't recognize it. When I put in an SD card it will show pictures on the card but I can't find any way to transfer pictures from the internal memory to the card.

Googling produces lots of instructions for putting pictures on a frame, but none for copying them off of one. I would appreciate any help anyone can offer.
rreed423 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 5, 2013, 7:18 PM   #2

SmartParts Photo Frames use the OptiPix™ Pro/Smartparts Desktop Tool for working with images. Did you try that already?
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2013, 8:21 AM   #3

Default OptiPix

I think that software is PC only, so I would have to try it on my friend's computer. But I tried plugging the frame into her computer and it wouldn't even see it. Would having the software help?
rreed423 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2013, 9:51 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by rreed423 View Post
I think that software is PC only, so I would have to try it on my friend's computer. But I tried plugging the frame into her computer and it wouldn't even see it. Would having the software help?
Only one way to find out for certain.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2013, 8:48 AM   #5
Administrator

What is the model number? I see user guides online for a number of different Smartparts photo frames (where you can select a series, then find the model and click on it, and you'll see a link to it's user guide.

For example, here are some of their optipix frames:

http://www.smartpartsproducts.com/co...pti_frames.php

Here are some of their syncpix frames:

http://www.smartpartsproducts.com/co...pix_frames.php

I looked at a couple of them, and it looks like most are designed to act as USB Mass Storage devices and show both the internal and memory card photos (my guess is that it will show a separate drive letter for each) when connected via USB.

I also see that some manuals say to connect it via the included USB cable with the frame turned off. Then, turn it on and should be seen as external storage by a PC. momentarily. So, if it wasn't turned off first when being connected, perhaps it wasn't going into the correct mode needed to act as a mass storage device.

I also see where there is a way to copy images back and forth between a memory card and internal storage without any PC with some of those frames, just by holding down certain button combinations and following prompts after highlighting desired images to copy

Again, what is the model number of the photo frame you have? If you don't have the manual that came with it, you can probably find the manual for it online showing you how to do some of that kind of thing (either copy photos from internal memory to an inserted memory card by using button press combinations; or how to connect it via USB for the photos on internal and memory cards to show up as external storage.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2013, 9:44 AM   #6
Administrator

For example, look at pages 5 and 6 of this frame's manual, where it describes how to copy photos from one memory type to another by selecting images and using certain button press combos (for example, holding the exit button down for 3 seconds after selecting an image from the thumbnail view, then selecting the "Copy Selected" choice and pressing OK, then picking the memory type you want to copy it to). You'll also see a procedure on the next page for copying multiple photos from one memory type to another.

http://downloads.smartpartsproducts....s/sp56m_um.pdf

So, many of them probably work in a similar manner. I'd find the manual for your exact model number and see what it says about doing that kind of thing.

But, it should be seen by a computer (running Wndows, OS X, Linux, etc.) as a USB storage device, too (even their software appears to require that from what I can see of what the manuals say about letting the frame be recognized as external storage before using the software). So, I'd make sure you're leaving it turned off before plugging into a USB port, then turning on it after it's plugged in and see if it's recognized.

Chances are, you'll either see different folders for internal memory and the inserted memory card that way, or see two different drive letters, depending on how the device was designed, where you can simply use your file manager (OS X Finder, Windows Explorer, etc.) to select all of the photos on the internal memory and copy them to your hard drive.

I'd make sure you're using a USB port that's on the computer (not one on a hub, display, etc.).
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote