Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Feb 23, 2004, 3:58 AM   #1

Default 1*512 or 2*256 CF cards

Hi, I want to buy a 512-memory card. Someone told me that it is better to buy 2*256 or better 4*128 because smaller cards are faster than bigger. (At start-up time and at write time)
Any suggestions?

Does the same is happening with XD cards?

Thanks
Stefanos
papako is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 23, 2004, 6:12 PM   #2

The main reason is probably the default cluster size gets bigger as the card size goes up. But I'd have thought from my own experience of getting movie modes to work continuously, that bigger cluster sizes were better - i.e larger capacity cards. However, smaller cards usually work out cheaper per Mbyte. On the other hand, if you expect to use the same media in your next camera (which is bound to have more Mpix!) the bigger card might be more future proof. VOX
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2004, 1:02 AM   #3

I found it strange that the price of 2 256mb cards was lees than that of 1 512mr card. It should be th opposite in my view, but that is just me!!

If it were me, money talks!! I have an S50 and i think 2 256mb cards would do great. If I had a camera with higher res I might have gone with a 512 or 1gig card so as not to keep switching and switching.

D
dudlew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2004, 3:56 AM   #4

It's not that strange.

Look at PC memory prices. Because new products come out needing more and more memory in smaller spaces, you can't really use a 16Mb card in an MP3 player - or nowadays in a decent digicam for that matter, so the smaller package size becomes a barrier to its use, demand falls and price goes down.

Of course, if you want to stick with a product which is fine with the smaller memory size, then you can pick up bargains, until it gets scarce - then price for small sizes goes up! VOX
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2004, 12:50 PM   #5

My own opinion is to get the larger card. Less clutter, and less chance of running out of space. Also, my camera has a movie mode and I can do a longer movie with the larger card AND put some photos on it at the same time.

My opinion!

I recently got a Sandisk Ultra II 512mb. which I paid $168 for (at this writing..the price is always going down) It's very nice. I also bought the Sandisk Imagemate 2.0 Reader/Writer for $20. I copied files off it onto my computer in a few seconds! wow! My plan is to bring the reader and my laptop with me on vacation to load my pictures onto at the end of each day. Because it's a reader/writer, I can do the reverse operation when I get home - loading from the laptop onto my home computer for all editing etc. I do not have a cd burner on the laptop so the 20$ sandisk thing is a great cheap alternative.

Good luck!
CC
coolcat is offline   Reply With Quote