Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Mar 18, 2014, 7:05 PM   #1

Default Slow card processing question????

I have noticed recently that I am missing shots due to the camera/cards slow processing time. I have a Canon Powershot S3 IS, 6 megapixel, and am using a Sandisk SDHC Class 4, 4 gig card. Is it the card or the setting for the shots?
I have used Sandisk Ultra ll cards in the past, a class 4, 2 gig, and 1 gig class 2, no issues that I recall.

Secondly, I am getting a new camera soon, Canon Powershot ELPH, HS 330 and had planned to put a Sandisk Ultra Class 10, 8 or 16 gig. I suppose that card should be fine...right??

Thanks,
Jerry
grahng is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 18, 2014, 8:50 PM   #2

In general, the larger the capacity of a card within a class, the slower it is, so that may possibly be the issue. It may also be that you need to make sure to format the card to get better response.
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2014, 4:47 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTphotog View Post
... It may also be that you need to make sure to format the card to get better response.
That would be my first inclination.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2014, 7:05 PM   #4

class 4 is relatively slow in today's terms I would first format the card in camera and if you still have issues then get a faster class 10 card
Photo 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 2014, 4:12 AM   #5

The Canon Powershot S3 IS doesn't really need a very fast card, though that's not so of the Canon Powershot ELPH 330 HS the OP is planning to get. Thus I wouldn't blame the slow card performance on the hardware, but I wouldn't rule out getting a faster card for the newer camera.

I would point out that cards do wear out over time, and this particular card could be approaching the end of it's useful life, especially if it's the only card the OP has.

First, I'd say reformat it. Second, I'd say replace it with one that would be appropriate for your future cameras. And third, I'd say buy another as a backup and to alternate with the main card on a regular basis. Finally, fourth, I'd say format them regularly, as soon as you've copied your photos somewhere else.

Last edited by TCav; Mar 20, 2014 at 4:14 AM.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 2014, 6:23 AM   #6

Thanks for the great info. Really appreciated.
grahng is offline   Reply With Quote