Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Jul 21, 2014, 12:51 PM   #1

Default xD Memory Card--"Empty Folder"

Iīm not sure where to begin, because I donīt know what happened.

When my card is in my camera (Olympus C-765 Ultra Zoom), I can view the 100+ pictures Iīve taken, but when I plug in the card reader (or directly plug in the camera with the cable) and try to open the file folder, it says, "Canīt access F:\DCIM\100OLYP, the directory name is invalid". While I know what that means, I donīt know how the file path could have been changed. Thereīs also (see attached photo below) a new "archivo" (file) on the right side which is unrecognizable by any program on this computer.

And then it claims the folder only takes up 67 KB of memory, which is not concurrent with the number of pictures on the camera.

The card is brand new, and I have been able to pull pictures off before without any problems.

I have tried several open source data recovery programs (Recuva, PC Inspector File Recovery, and one or two others I canīt recall). Some have said there are files, but you need to buy the full version to save them (not an option at this point), others have said there were no files recovered, etc.

Does anyone have any advice regarding this?
Any help is most appreciated!
Attached Images

rhynnehaert is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 21, 2014, 1:32 PM   #2
Administrator

I'd try photorec (mentioned in detail in the thread linked to below), using a card reader, not a USB connected camera, as photorec (open source and available for multiple operating systems), can recover images based on data carving techniques looking for file header information found on the media, even if the FAT (File Allocation Table) is damaged (and a corrupted FAT is the most common problem you'll find with the symptoms you're describing). IOW, it's designed so that it can ignore the underlying file system entirely and still recover images in most cases.

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/me...ory-cards.html
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21, 2014, 2:08 PM   #3

JimC,

Thanks for the quick reply and the redirect. I figured there would be something already on the forum about this. I ended up using TogetherShare and managed to get most of my files back. Photorec is one Iīve used before, but havenīt figured out how to get it to download in English yet (Iīm currently in El Salvador).

Thanks again.
Cheers.
rhynnehaert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21, 2014, 5:50 PM   #4

Puran File Recovery is another free program which I have used with good results. It managed to recover quite a few files from a card which had been formatted and overwritten (several times), and saved a friend some grief.
Before you use the card again, after you have recovered everything you can, you need to run a disk check to see if there are any bad sectors, then reformat.

brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2014, 7:48 AM   #5
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhynnehaert View Post
JimC,

Thanks for the quick reply and the redirect. I figured there would be something already on the forum about this. I ended up using TogetherShare and managed to get most of my files back. Photorec is one Iīve used before, but havenīt figured out how to get it to download in English yet (Iīm currently in El Salvador).

Thanks again.
Cheers.
Just use the download links on their download page. ;-)

It's got language choices at the top for instructions, where you can select English. But, I think the download links are all the same.

http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk_Download

Here's a link to the latest stable release for Windows, which is 6.14 (the top part of the page is for a 7.0 beta release):

http://www.cgsecurity.org/testdisk-6.14.win.zip
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7, 2014, 2:22 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhynnehaert View Post
Iīm not sure where to begin, because I donīt know what happened.

When my card is in my camera (Olympus C-765 Ultra Zoom), I can view the 100+ pictures Iīve taken, but when I plug in the card reader (or directly plug in the camera with the cable) and try to open the file folder, it says, "Canīt access F:\DCIM\100OLYP, the directory name is invalid". While I know what that means, I donīt know how the file path could have been changed. Thereīs also (see attached photo below) a new "archivo" (file) on the right side which is unrecognizable by any program on this computer.

And then it claims the folder only takes up 67 KB of memory, which is not concurrent with the number of pictures on the camera.

The card is brand new, and I have been able to pull pictures off before without any problems.

I have tried several open source data recovery programs (Recuva, PC Inspector File Recovery, and one or two others I canīt recall). Some have said there are files, but you need to buy the full version to save them (not an option at this point), others have said there were no files recovered, etc.

Does anyone have any advice regarding this?
Any help is most appreciated!
I recommend you to make use of a recovery software to get back all images during such unexpected situations. Here, this tutorial will help you out on how it needs to be done http://youtu.be/5CmxLNuG7mE
paulsandy86 is offline   Reply With Quote