Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Feb 29, 2004, 8:24 PM   #1

Default Compact Flash longevity

Was wondering if CF cards ever wear out or lose quality over time. My last batch of outdoor pics seemed overly gray like it was extremely overcast when actually it was only slightly overcast. Don't think I had an exposure value on that would give me that effect. Very disappointed with dark look of pics. I am shooting an S404. thanks. glenn
glennj is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 29, 2004, 8:35 PM   #2

Eventaually a CF can go bad. I'd heard some say they can last as long as 100 years though. As far as the problem with the pictures you report, I highly doubt is it is due to your card. If a card is going bad you'll probably see problems such as unexplained read/write problems, camera acting very flakey cutting off, etc (but not picture color cast, exporsure), missing pictures, or pictures that won't open due to corrupt files.
mdparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2004, 12:39 AM   #3

It's most likely a lens problem, perhaps lens flare made the picture less contrasty. If you don't have a lens shade you can try to cast a shadow with your hand to block light from entering the lens from the sides. What software do you use to view your images? Software that is not color profile aware will display images only in sRGB mode, and if your images were saved in Adobe 1998 mode then images will look grayish and lacking in saturation.

I have been using a 320MB CF since 1999 and it hasn't given any problems so far.
marokero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2004, 12:28 PM   #4

Default Compact Flash longevity

Alberto, thanks for reply. I am using the Dimage Image viewer to save the pics. Had an earlier problem with colors using this software but got that solved through this forum. I had to uncheck the 'color matching on' block and that made colors ok. For current problem it probably is a lens problem. I'll do some more experimenting with shading and exposure on cloudy days. glenn
glennj is offline   Reply With Quote