Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Sep 27, 2014, 4:04 PM   #11
Administrator

BTW, you may need to make sure your card reader is SDXC compatible, too (as there are some protocol differences between SDHC cards and SDXC cards, where support for newer UHS 3.x or higher versions is needed for proper SDXC card support).

Also, what Operating System are you using now?

Keep in mind that SDXC cards use an exFAT (versus FAT32) file system by default (a camera with SDXC support is going format them as exFAT, which is the way they come from the card manufacturer). Were both of the cameras you used with that card with SDXC compatible? If not, that may have caused some of your issues.

If you're using Win 7 (or Win 8.x) with all patches applied, exFAT support should already be there.

But, if you're using XP, you'll need to download some drivers for it. With other Operating System, support varies (but, exFAT drivers are available for most operating systems, including linux, with a number of linux distros already including drivers for exFAT). Those file systems are similar in some respects, but different enough to cause major issues if you're trying to use a FAT32 (or older "vFAT") driver with media using an exFAT file system.

IOW, if you're not using an SDXC compatible card reader (and some models have firmware upgrades available from their support pages for adding SDXC compatibility,) and an Operating System with drivers that support exFAT, you're going to have problems.

Anyway, for starters, you need to be using an SDXC compatible card reader with recovery utilities like Photorec, not a USB connected camera. Let us know more about your setup for starters (OS, card reader type, etc.) and if you can't get the photos from it using available Photorec options, we can try to make a disk image copy of the card and work with it that way (although using that type of approach really shouldn't be necessary if you're using an SDXC compatible card reader with the "whole disk" option in Photorec, unless the partition table is corrupted or the card has physical errors).

But, you'll still need a card reader that works with SDXC cards, even if we use utilities that make a block by block copy of it using linux utilities (writing to a disk image file that we can use other utilities against, while ignoring the partition table and underlying file system entirely).
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2014, 5:01 PM   #12

Right, so I've run the Photorec program again. I'm sure that I ran it the first time as you described, nevertheless this time I definitely did. On the site there is a 6.1 version and a 7 version. I have downloaded both, and definitely ran both on the card, set up as you described to search "Whole Disk".

I have the SDXC card plugged into the card reader on the laptop, and not inserted in the camera with the camera as a USB device.

I now have three folders from Photorec. Each one contains ONLY the photos that were OK on the SD card and none of corrupted photos. Photorec did not even recognise that they were there.

Thanks.
David A Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2014, 5:08 PM   #13
Administrator

Card reader on what laptop (brand/model)?

Are you sure the card reader is fully SDXC compatible (some are not, although you may find a firmware upgrade for it on the laptop manufacturer's support site to add SDXC support)? IOW, even though it "sees" the card doesn't mean it's communicating with it properly if it's firmware is not designed for SDXC (versus only SDHC) cards.

What Operating System are you using (XP, Vista, Win 7, Win 8.x, etc.)?
Old Sep 27, 2014, 5:10 PM   #14

Both of the cameras are SDXC compatible. The first camera worked fine until it failed, and the second camera now works fine wth its own formatted SDXC card.

The laptop I am using is running Windows 8.1 64-bit. It is less than 12 months old.

The SDXC sems to work fine.

Let me know if I can give you any further info.
Old Sep 27, 2014, 5:12 PM   #15

Toshiba 'Satellite' with AMD A4 Quadcore.
Old Sep 27, 2014, 5:14 PM   #16

Toshiba Satellite C55D, still currently sold.
Old Sep 27, 2014, 5:27 PM   #17

Jim, just got out the specs of this laptop, and double checked online.
The card reader is compatible with SDXC up to 64GB. The SDXC in question is 64GB.
Old Sep 27, 2014, 5:35 PM   #18
Administrator

Have you tried updating everything related to the card reader to make sure it's not your issue?

I see lots of different variations of the C55D. But, when I look at updates for some of the models using a quick search, it looks like Toshiba has released a *LOT* of updates related to the Realtek Card reader most of the C55D series models appear to use.

For example, if you click on the drivers and updates tab from this page, then keep clicking on the "more" link at the bottom of the updates, you'll come to a "Realtek Card Reader" listing that you can click on.

http://support.toshiba.com/support/m...ext=1200006733

When I click on that Realteck Card Reader listing, I see a that a lot of different updates have been released for it (one every month or two).

This is a link to the most recent card reader update I see for for the C55D-A5208 model I'm looking at:

http://cdgenp01.csd.toshiba.com/cont...c50155400e.exe

See the attached screen capture showing a number of others for a C55D-A5208 (and without your complete model info, I don't know if different updates may be available for your specific laptop).

But, as many updates as I see have been made available for the C55D Card Reader, I would not rule out that you need to update anything related to your card reader for starters.
Attached Images

Old Sep 27, 2014, 5:51 PM   #19

OK then, I will try and see if it requires updating.
Old Sep 27, 2014, 6:02 PM   #20
Administrator

If updating anything card reader related doesn't solve it, then please download the .iso file for Parted Magic from this page. It's a very "light weight" linux distro with the ddrescue (that we'll use to make a block by block copy of the card without regards to the partition table or file systems) and photorec (which we'll use to read through the created block by block disk image file) tools we'll be using already installed.

It's also got Firefox installed, so we can simply use this thread (or PMs, text chat programs or similar) for copying and pasting commands and their results back and forth through that process.

http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/deta...ted_magic.html

Do you have a USB Flash Drive available (or a card in a USB attached card reader can also work)? If so, download Unetbootin from here:

http://unetbootin.sourceforge.net/

You'll need a FAT32 formatted flash drive, and need to make note of the drive letter assigned to it under "Computer". Then, start Unetbootin, click on the "Disk Image" check box, and use it's browse button to select the .iso file for Parted Magic you downloaded. Then, select the USB Flash Drive letter you want to write it to and click on it's OK button.

When it's finished, make sure you can boot into it OK. When you restart your PC, most computers have a "boot menu" function key you can press where you can select USB. That way, it will boot into an operating system on any USB devices it finds. Or, you can also press the function key to go into your BIOS Setup and make sure USB is the first choice in the "boot order" list (so that if a bootable USB disk is seen, it will boot into it, and if not, it will just go to the next choice in that boot order list).

Personally, I keep my desktop setup so that USB is the first choice, optical drive is the next choice, and my SSD with multiple Operating Systems on it is the third choice. That way, if a bootable OS is seen on a USB Flash Drive or an Optical Disc, it boots into it. If not, it just goes to the next choice in the boot order list (a Samsung 830 SSD which is setup with Win 8.1 and multiple Linux distros on it) and boots into it instead.

Or, if you prefer, you can burn the Parted Magic .iso file to a CD instead. I'd suggest using isorecorder for that purpose. You'll see download links for Win 7 on this page:

http://isorecorder.alexfeinman.com/W7.htm

Other Operating Systems available via the links from the main page here:

http://isorecorder.alexfeinman.com/isorecorder.htm

Once isorecorder is installed, you can use Windows Explorer (the file browser you get when you click on "Computer" to view folders), and then "right click" on the downloaded .iso file for Parted Magic, and select a new menu choice you'll see to "Copy Image to CD/DVD" that will burn the .iso file to a CD so that it's bootable.

Then, make sure you can boot into OK (use the boot menu function key to select the optical drive, or just go into the BIOS Setup and make sure the Optical Drive is the first choice in the boot order list).

Note that you'll see a boot menu presented when booting into Parted Magic. Usually, the default (first) choice will work OK. If not, try the other choices until you find one that lets you boot into it's desktop.

Then (after you've downloaded Parted Magic, burned it to either USB or CD, and made sure it boots OK), let me know and we can try to setup some time so I can walk you through creating a disk image of your card to see if we can recover images from it using linux utilities).

Basically, I'll need you to boot into the Parted Magic Desktop, then I'll post some commands that you can copy and paste into a terminal inside of Parted Magic, and I'll need you to copy and paste the results you get from those commands before I give you commands to use for the next steps needed.

It sounds harder than it is, as I use tools like ddrescue every week or two for creating block by block disk image files of memory cards, drives, etc.(as I use those disk image files as backups that I can restore at any time in the event of problems). ;-)

It's just a matter of using a few commands (that you could copy and paste from my posts, then copy and paste their output back to me) so that I can understand your drive labeling, mount a partition on one of your windows partitions for storing a disk image file, using a command to make that disk image, then issuing another command to read through it and extract any images found. It's a very straight forward process (but, if you're not familiar with linux utilities, I guess it sounds harder than it is).