Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Mar 2, 2004, 1:11 PM   #1

Default How should Hitachi 4 gb be formated?

Hi all

I understand from earlier discussions that I have to format my knew hitachi 4 gb microdrive from muvo2.
I also understand that it is best to use 32 kb clusters for speed performance.

Now, how do I format the drive? Just by using Computer Administration in XP - or do I use a seperate program?

Could a helpful reader tell what way I best do this?

Thanks

Morten
MortenJensen is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 2, 2004, 4:26 PM   #2

My recommendation would be to try formatting it with your camera first. Your camera should know best what formatting options it requires for speed/perfomance.
If you camera is unable to read/format the card before using it - then I would probably use XP and see if your camera's documentation provides specifics on how to format it (the Minolta DiMage A1 for instance specifically says which filesystem to format with - although gives no other specifics). Even after formatting with XP - I would again re-format with the camera. The camera's OS should know which formatting options (sectors, clustersizes, etc) are most suitable for performance within it. What might be the best options on my camera - may not be the best options on yours.
I admit I'm no expert though - chances are someone more knowledgeable than me will chime in - you may want to let folks know which camera you will be using this in.
cczych is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2004, 7:01 PM   #3
Administrator

Yes, try formatting it in your camera first. It will come out of the Muvo already formatted in FAT-32 and the camera should be able to read it and use it as-is. Formatting it will get rid of the sample songs on the drive and make sure that the camera puts it own folders on the drive. If you format it with a computer and card reader then be sure to use the FAT-32 option of the format command in Windows XP.

-Steve
steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2004, 8:46 PM   #4

Have you tried putting any replacement CF in your mp3 player?
I have on one back order but I dont plant to keep it. But if you cant place a replacement drive in it it i uselsss to them as well.

Please advise!

thanks

KM

"Ok, I've got the situation of receiving a Muvo2 shell with 1.11.01 firmware preloaded. It seems this unit doesn't want to recognize any of the 4 cards I've tried. Sandisk 32mb, 64mb, Canon 32mb, Lexar x12 256mb all give me a "Media Error" regardless for any of the recovery mode options I choose. I'm getting suspicious that 1.11.01 introduced a block to not recognize non authorized CF cards. Problem is since I get a media error I can't do firmware download from my PC. Any ideas?"
kieranmullen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2004, 9:42 AM   #5
Administrator

I haven't tried putting any CF cards in it. I replaced the 4GB Microdrive with a 1GB Microdrive.

-Steve
steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2004, 10:01 AM   #6

So replacing with a smaller microdrive worked for you eh?

Well at least someone will have an option if they buy it off of me...

Thanks

KM
kieranmullen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 2004, 8:02 AM   #7

Default 4gb hitachi microdrive - formating in linux

Hi

I was having problems getting all 4gb out of the hitachi microdrive with my D100. Computer Admin in XP couldn't extend the 2gb partition that was on the disk. (That's is how my D100 formatted it first). Perhaps the drive came with fat16 formatting???

Anyway since XP was no use and I didn't have any other disk partitioning software, I used LINUX to format the whole disk with one 4gb patition. Now my d100 reads 409 frames in RAW (that's all 4GB) - even reformatting with the d100 keeps the 4gb partition. Just something to try if anyone is having problems with formatting.

Steve H
stephenh is offline   Reply With Quote