Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Jan 23, 2016, 7:06 AM   #1

Default Forcing memory card to show windows import

Hello!

My USB port stopped working on my Canon Rebel T3 camera so I now have to take out my card each time I want to pull pictures off. I use a card reader dongle to do so. But it doesn't give me the option to "import pictures and videos" on right mouse click like my camera does, placing them in nice neat dated folders. So I'm forced to manually create each folder by date and move the photos over in groups.

Is there a way I can get my card dongle to show the windows import thing on right mouse click?

Thanks!
Nancy

Windows 7 Pro
nanrector is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 23, 2016, 10:04 AM   #2

If you install the faststone image viewer(free) or Google Picassa your pictures can be imported and organised as well as edited from the memory card.
Importing via USB by attaching your camera to a PC isn't necessary.
Does your PC not have a built in card reader?
wanaclick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2016, 11:09 AM   #3

The 'import' menu item is likely a function of your Canon camera software, and it may be possible to change the settings in that program to get it to work with your card reader as well as the camera. Someone who uses Canon would more likely be able to help with that.
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2016, 2:49 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTphotog View Post
The 'import' menu item is likely a function of your Canon camera software, and it may be possible to change the settings in that program to get it to work with your card reader as well as the camera. Someone who uses Canon would more likely be able to help with that.

I have that option for quite a few devices... cameras, iPhone etc. I think its a windows 7 thing. Thanks for the input. I'll keep looking!

Old Jan 23, 2016, 2:52 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanaclick View Post
If you install the faststone image viewer(free) or Google Picassa your pictures can be imported and organised as well as edited from the memory card.
Importing via USB by attaching your camera to a PC isn't necessary.
Does your PC not have a built in card reader?
What I'm wanting is that exact feature to show on my card so it will pull the images off and place them in folders that are autodated as it does for all my other stuff. I do have a card reader on my computer but it doesn't work. I might need to post on a Windows forum for the answer. I know its an odd request.
Old Jan 23, 2016, 10:33 PM   #6

If the card reader in your PC doesn't work,if the USB in your camera doesn't work it is high time your PC and camera etc. electronic items go in for a health check up. They perhaps need some fixing.
wanaclick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2016, 7:29 AM   #7

try opening windows picture gallery first, then plug in your camera, it should then ask if yo want to import pictures
kazuya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2016, 8:53 AM   #8

First post said that the camera USB has quit working, which was the reason for the question about using with card reader.
My best guess would be to open the Canon software after plugging in the card reader, and searching for the card from the Canon menu.
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2016, 5:23 PM   #9

Quote:
First post said that the camera USB has quit working, which was the reason for the question about using with card reader.
My best guess would be to open the Canon software after plugging in the card reader, and searching for the card from the Canon menu.
yea meant to say plugging your card reader in
kazuya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2016, 10:06 AM   #10
conor

Quote:
Try this first, depending on the software, there's a good chance you'll be able to get this process working. IF you cannot get this to work, read on.

For the purposes of this explanation, I'm using "USB drive" and "Flash drive" to mean "your memory card from the camera, plugged into the dongle, which is essentially a jump drive"

A flash drive is always going to act like a hard drive, unless the drive has software built into it like the camera does. A camera usually has the option to switch between being a storage device (like the flash drive) and being a camera (where the software controls what happens when you plug in the device)

Windows can do certain "automatic" things when you plug in a device, you usually get an option window when you plug in a USB device. If you are *not* getting the popup (on Windows, sorry, I don't know Mac) when you plug in the USB drive: Control Panel -> Hardware -> Auto-Play. Make sure "external media device" or "pictures" will give you the pop-up. My Windows 7 laptop has "Use Windows to import pictures" as an option. The only imaging software I have installed on this computer, other than Windows defaults like Photo Viewer and Paint is IrfanView. You may want to try using this to determine if the functionality you require is already built into Windows. If this doesn't work, read on.

Drives are generally "stupid" when compared to cameras. Drives will rely on Windows to give you options when plugging into the computer. Cameras, as I mentioned before, contain a driver that links with the software on the computer to provide the interface for the camera software. If you are not getting the options you want when plugging in a drive, you'll either need software that recognizes USB drives (maybe something like Picasa, I don't know), or you'll need to build a custom action and put it on the USB drive.

Comparing this to a CD: When the CD is an audio CD, it is the computer recognizing "this is audio" and fires up the audio player automatically. When the CD is an application, there's usually an autorun ON the CD that the computer uses to determine what to do when the CD is inserted. Data CDs you burn yourself, won't have this autorun specified, and Windows will attempt to give you logical options: "Open in explorer", "view photos", "print documents", etc... whatever Windows knows how to do.

The basic idea would be to make the USB drive act like a CD. If you created a custom autorun.inf file and place it in the root of all your memory cards, when the card is connected to the computer, Windows should go to the autorun first to decide what to do with the card. If create an autorun.inf file, you can put together a little batch file to do the directory creation and the file copy (outside the scope of this overview), reference it in the autorun. Copy the two files to the card, and upon connecting the card to the computer, Windows will see the autorun and give you an option to execute it. A very simple explanation of how autorun works can be found here.

I didn't think of it first, but it may also be possible to hack up a context menu so that you get a right-click menu item to perform your action. This would likely be even more complex to get set up and involves making registry edits to add the menu. A simple guide to Windows context menus can be found here

Unfortunately for OP, none of these options are both easy and complete.Personally:
right-click -> new folder -> [current date]; right-click -> cut; right-click -> paste
is easiest, and the method I've been using to copy photos off cameras for over a decade. I've *never* installed the camera software with any of my cameras.

There is one other option: A custom application that provides the options and/or features you want and/or need to execute against a jump drive when plugging it in. If I have time, perhaps I'll hack together something in C# and make it available... If someone could really use this, let me know what kind of options you'd need, but please be aware that I'll only do this as a quick little challenge for myself, if I get 9000 feature requests and endless requests for help and support, I'll lose interest in the project pretty quickly. I do development for a living, but it's not always something I want to spend my evenings doing...

Last edited by conor; Feb 11, 2016 at 10:17 AM.