Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Apr 2, 2004, 5:39 PM   #11
NHL

I don't think it matter... apparently we have a shortage of 4G microdrives on our hand! :lol:
Quote:
"We're actually consuming just about all the 4 gigabyte, 1- inch drives they make. As they make more, we'll get more," said Greg Joswiak, Apple vice president of hardware product marketing.
http://biz.yahoo.com/rb/040325/tech_apple_5.html
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2004, 1:56 PM   #12

for the man with the 1Ds. there has been a firmware update for the camera for issues with fat32/high gig cards- v1.03. this might aleviate the problem.

Corrects the phenomenon of storage media with capacities greater than 2GB being recognized as having less than their full capacity after being formatted by the EOS-1Ds.
sjms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2004, 3:19 PM   #13

Hi Guys,

The CF Compliant issue is simply a bit of firware code which informs the host device (camea in this case) that the device residing in it functions like a CF card.

There is no difference in the actual physical drive and they will format in computers (because theydon't care about CF compliancy) and would work in camera which don't check for CF compliancy. The problem is that the cameras which don't check for CF compliancy are the older models like the Nikon CP4500, Fuji S602Z, Fuji 7000Z, Olympus E10/E20, etc., which also don't understand the 4 gig format, so there is no advantage to formatting a 4 gig microdrive as a 2 gigabyte device.

The Canon 1D, D30, and D60 don't look for CF compliancy, but the 1DS, 1D Mark II, 10D, 300D, Sony F828, etc., do look for it.

As far as a "fix" to make these non compliant drives work - it would be simple if it were possible to get the firmware from a Hitachi 4 Gig CF Compliant drive and replace the firmware in the non compliant drive with it, but this would require a knowledge of where it resides and the proper procedure for retrieving and loading it.

I havefive 1 gigabyte microdrives (2 IBM OEM drives from iOmega and 3 IBM labeled drives) each with corrupted firmware complements of my D30. My D30 also corrupted the firmware in two of my Lexar 1 gig CF cards, but Lexar was nice enough to reload the firmware (I had to send the cards to Lexar) even though they were each a few years old. Lexar allows firmware upgrades through their jumpshot USB reader, but their web software queries the card and if it finds "current" firware will not reload it corrupted or not. Only if it finds outdated firmware will it write new firmware to the card via the jumpshot device.

No amount of persuasion, or pleading with iOmega, IBM or Hitachi (who now owns the IBM microdrive business) would wrest the firmware for my 1 gigabyte microdrives from them. iOmega suggested talking to IBM, IBM suggested talking to Hitachi and Hitachi's Technical Support Division says they don't have "access" to the firmware. My 1 gig drives work beautifully in my computer, in my CP4500, E10, S602Z, S7000Z, 1D and D30, but return a "CF Card not Found" error on my 1DS, 1D Mark II, 10D and Sony F828.

I suspect the reason for not allowing access to the firmware is simply protectionism for dealers who buy in much smaller quantities than factories like Creative who probably buy by the thousands. Creative gets huge quantity discounts so they can produce the MuVo2 and sell it with the 4 gig drive cheaper than a retailer can sell the drive alone. To prevent ticked off retailers they now force Creative, Apple, etc., to take drives which don't have the CF Compliant firmware.....

Lin
Lin Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2004, 10:54 AM   #14

Ihave twohitachi 4gb oem microdrives (out of muvo2; 3CA and 42B) they work perfect in every cam i testet. (F828, A2, D70, 300D)

I think they are cfII compatible.

how can I help you?

how can I extract de firmware?

sorry for my bad engl.

cheers

kingalive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2004, 4:33 AM   #15

Anyone have any ideas on how to extract the firmare from 4GB microdrives previous to 44C ???javascript:emoticon('', 'images/emoticons/bash.gif')
javascript:emoticon('', 'images/emoticons/bash.gif')

kingalive wrote:
Quote:
I have two hitachi 4gb oem microdrives (out of muvo2; 3CA and 42B) they work perfect in every cam i testet. (F828, A2, D70, 300D)

I think they are cfII compatible.

how can I help you?

how can I extract de firmware?

sorry for my bad engl.

cheers

cyberandroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2004, 4:26 PM   #16

...does anyone have a copy of the ghosted 4gb partition? it seems that some(many) people may have skipped this step, invalidating the miniature file necessary for the mocrodrive to work. I removed the microdrive from the player, tried it in a variety of devices, tried formattin git in a bunch of different cameras, and when I went to reinstall it in the Muvo2, it now gives me a MEDIA ERROR. So I am asking for anyone that may have this to please email me a link or better yet a TORRRENT file with it.

TIA.
Alex
qbnbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2004, 2:14 PM   #17

Well, I formatted my MD in a SanDisk Cardreader, then tried it in my Rebel. Didn't work so I put it back into the MuVo. Had the "Media Error", too, but I was able to re-format it in the MuVo, then reloaded the firmware, now it works perfect! I don't believe that there is really a necessary file for the MuVoon the MD, it can't be there anymore after my format!

I think the problem only occurs, if you use tools to change the partition of the MD....!?
Klaus W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2004, 11:45 PM   #18

Steve,

Do you know if the 4gb hitachi from the ipod with model number "41A" is compatable with newer canon digital slr's?

Thanks
catfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2004, 1:31 AM   #19
Administrator

NO 4GB microdrive from ANY iPod works in digital cameras - period !

steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2004, 8:17 PM   #20

Steve,

OK..decided against the ipod microdrive. Next question.

I have a budget of around $250. I can either get one of the black on white hitachi 4gb microdrives with a good model number (from your review) "or" I can get a 2gb blue hitachi microdrive in the same price range.

Would you recommend staying with the original blue 2gb hitachi or would the black on white 4gb be ok?

by the way...I have pre-ordered the Canon 20D and am planning trip to Japan so will need enough storage space to hold me about two weeks and will probably be taking pictures in the 3 megapixal range to make 8 x 10 prints.

Thanks
catfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote