Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Mar 9, 2004, 2:30 PM   #1

Default 4GB Microdrive from Apple mini IPOD

Pulled a few drives from the mini IPOD.. will format in windows just fine and able to copy files from to in XP but get an ERROR2 on 10D and on my 1ds get card not formated do U wish to format? when I say yes... it freezes in format mode with drive light on. Any suggestions???

thanks
engineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 18, 2004, 11:49 AM   #2

I have yet to find a camera where the Ipod drive will work. It's not the same drive as the other MP3 player. Different part number and there is NO CF logo indicating it is NOT Compact Flash spec compliant.
Heybruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2004, 2:31 PM   #3
NHL

Heybruck is correct, no one has managed to get the iPod 4G drive to work on any digicam yet... It'll work when you format it and put the device back on the MuVo2 though, or through the PC:

http://search.dpreview.com/forums/se...mini&forum=all
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2004, 1:03 AM   #4
Administrator

Can't say for sure - never seen an iPod drive. The ones in the Muvo2 are definitely Hitachi 4GB Microdrives - the OEM drive with the white label on the front - they do have a full Hitachi label on the backside. But there is no CF logo on it...

6/17/04 update - looks as if all new MuVo players now use the same incompatible Microdrive as the iPod Mini. Before buying one on eBay make sure that the last three digits of the model number are 41C, 42B, or 43B - these are usable, the 44C drives are not.

-Steve
steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2004, 5:50 PM   #5

Default Microdrive torn from iPod

According to my information, both the 1Ds and the 10D support FAT32 partition. There have been numerous warnings, however, NOT to attempt to remove the hard drive (yes, they are made by Hitachi) from the iPod Mini as they will not work properly.
mjo1951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2004, 8:10 PM   #6

Here's an article that might spawn some interest:
http://www.photo.net/equipment/hitachi/mp3microdrive/
huckle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2004, 9:38 PM   #7

Default From the Horses or shud I say Hitachi's mouth

This is the guy that wrote the white paper that is on Hitachi's site about the CF Microdrives.. funny part is, he actually answered it.. His answer is on top of my question. The part number is the one off the drive for the mini IPOD. I think the last line in this is a hint.. Someone may want to post this one elseware: Looks like this may be a reverse engineering fiasco.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It is an OEM (Black/White label) drive. And as such, is customized for that companies application at their request. Also at their request I cannot divulge what is different. There are no CF compliance labels on it since it is NOT Compact Flash org complaint. Only our retail package (blue label) drives are trully CF Compliant as indicated by the CF mark on them. Hence, they will work in all cameras that are also CF complaint.
Other OEM drives with different partnumbers are also not CF compliant and meet the requirements of that customer. All are subject to change without notice as well. So if you have an OEM drive that works now, one from that same mfg may not work later on....

BILL

William F. Heybruck, Ph.D.
Senior Applications Engineer
Hitachi Global Storage Technologies
4732 Lebanon Road, Suite D
Charlotte, NC 28227

03/20/2004 07:30 AM

To: [email protected]
cc:
Subject: Part number 13G1768

I know U have probably been asked this a million times so U might want to post the answer on your website...

why wont this drive work in a digital camera??? It seems to work fine everywhere else such as Pcs but just not digital cameras???
Old Mar 30, 2004, 3:35 PM   #8

Default Re: 4GB Microdrive from Apple mini IPOD

I hate to b the bringer of bad news but:

Quote:
Originally Posted by YahooNews
iPoding reports an Apple insider who mentioned that Hitachi has disabled CompactFlash support in the Microdrives supplied to Apple for use within iPod mini. This means that once the drives are removed from Apple's music player, they stop working.
More @ http://uk.news.yahoo.com/040308/101/enyox.html
Japair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2004, 4:28 PM   #9

Default More info on Ipod Drives/Canon 1DS test

Well, the IPOD drives will work in a compact flash reader on a computer. Ive confirmed that . They will supposidly work in a Muvo 2 but I have not seen that one in action. Also, I did get ahold of a drive out of a Muvo 2 just to test, and the Canon 1DS will read and write fat32 and give U full access to the 4gb drive with about 360 raw 11 meg images of space.. Gives over 650 shots raw on a 10D.
Old Mar 31, 2004, 5:17 PM   #10
NHL

That's correct the iPod drive will work in a laptop and inside a Muvo2... It just does not want to work in digital camera! :twisted:
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote