Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Mar 12, 2004, 6:21 AM   #1

Default USB2-reader or PCMCIA-adapter?

I'm thinking of buyin either one of them, which one would you recommend speedwise?

A USB2-reader (preferable multifunctional, with slots for CF and SD, although I'm using SD more) or

A PCMCIA-adapter for in the laptop? I know you can't put CF and SD in it, but then i'd go for SD only.

WHich one is faster? A PCMCIA-adapter looks much better of course. NOthing clinging on the laptop etc.
athlonkmf is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 12, 2004, 8:22 AM   #2

The average adapter is much slower than a USB 2 reader. (I have one of those adapters.)

There is a new type of adapter that is much faster than a USB 2 reader, I believe, but I believe you'll need a relatively new (within the last 2-3 years) laptop to take advantage of it. I could be wrong on that point, so others here... please correct me!

All the PCMCIA adapters that I've heard of take a CF card. Then you can get an adapter to make the other types of cards fit. I bet you could put an SD card into one.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2004, 5:18 PM   #3

USB reader.

Not even close.

I have adapter for my laptop which sometimes is "seen" and sometimes is not "seen".

USB would be "portable" between your desktop and laptop.

Good luck
digcamfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2004, 10:01 PM   #4

I've never had my PCMCIA adapter not work, but maybe I'm lucky.

Unless you shell out the money to buy the fast adapter, get a 2.0 USB one. And even then, it sounds like the adapters don't always work.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote