Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Mar 12, 2004, 5:03 PM   #1

Default OLympus xd Card to storage device?

Next summer I'll be hiking the Appalachian Trail from Georgia to Maine, a six-month journey. I plan to carry an Olympus Stylus 400 digital camera that uses xD cards for doing photography on the Trail. I'll probably use a 256Mb or 512Mb card. Here's my problem. I'll need to store the images and empty the card for reuse about once a week, when I go into a town near the Trail to resupply. I won't have access to a computer. I can mail a laptop to myself and download to the laptop each time I visit a town, but I don't presently own a laptop. Is there a less expensive memory storage device that will let me download directly to that device using the Stylus 400 or an xD card reader? If not, what other options can you suggest? Also, if I end up having to mail the xD card home and have someone download images and erase the card on my home computer there, is there a problem with possible loss of data during the mail processing (xrays, etc.)? Thanks for your help.
wingfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 12, 2004, 6:31 PM   #2

Xrays won't hurt it. I just went through 5 flights with an Oly 755 and xD cards, and nothing was harmed. I would worry more about what may happen when your assistant erases or reformats the card in the computer. In general that is a no-no, since various problems have been known to occur (electronic damage to the card, loss of photos, etc.). If you have to mail the card home, have the assistant download the photos to the computer, then mail the card back to you with the photos still on it. When you get the card back, replace the card in the camera and erase/reformat the card there. Much safer, FWIK.
If the town where you stop had an Internet cafe or Kinkos, you might be able to take a card-reader adapter with you and e-mail the photos home (though it would obviously take a good deal of time for 256M). I'm not up on the most recent technology, tho, so there may be other options you could explore, like a PDA or something. Obviously, buying a laptop would work, too. The new ones even have CD-ROM/DVD burner drives on them, so you can burn discs on the fly, or practically.
Norm in Fujino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2004, 11:23 AM   #3

I think I may have found a solution in a portable digital storage device made by Vosonix that can read xD cards without an adaptor. The Vosonix VP300 can read multiple card types, including xD, s and store the info to a hard drive (20Gb-plus available). The unit has a USB port that will alow download to a computer. I can mail this to myself regularly and will not need a laptop.
wingfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2004, 5:29 AM   #4

Hey Wingfoot!

Im in a similar situation as you!

Im Going to 'do' as much of Australia as possible in 3months from June! Im so excited! I cant wait. Im staying with friends when im not bushtreckin so i should be able to dump my pics on there comp when ever i get the chance but i figured just in case ill get a portable hdd!

I was goin to get a Mambo-X but these Vosonix look pritty handy

Thanx
Japair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2004, 7:21 AM   #5
NHL

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingfoot
Also, if I end up having to mail the xD card home and have someone download images and erase the card on my home computer there, is there a problem with possible loss of data during the mail processing (xrays, etc.)? Thanks for your help.
X-Ray @ airport won't hurt, but mailing has the potential of permanently damaging the cards... http://www.compactflash.org/pr/020107b.pdf
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2004, 9:00 AM   #6

I've just bought the Smartdisk Flashtrax, myself, the only drawback for you is that you would need to buy the Fujifilm XD>Compact Flash adaptor to use it. I looked at a lot of the different systems available, comparing storage capacity vs price vs capabilities, this one pretty much came up the winner if you wish to be able to view the images on the device after downloading them.

http://www.smartdisk.com/Products/Di.../FlashTrax.asp

I found, generally, that the Flashtrax 40GB model was available for around the same price as the Vosonix 20GB equivalent.
YenRug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2004, 12:53 PM   #7

I'm jumping into this topic rather late, I know...

Since I have a third generation iPod I use it to store my photos. I have a Belkin Digital Camera Link which transfers movies and pictures off my digital camera and onto the iPod.

This solution is much better than carrying around three, four, or five memory cards.
davodosus is offline   Reply With Quote