Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Aug 26, 2002, 8:56 AM   #1

Default Microdrive, time to buy, looking for advice.

Hi,
The time has come to order our 1 GB Microdrive, but what do we need to buy for our 7i. I see travel kits, road warrior kits, adapters, etc. I plan on going with the Lexar firewire reader unless something else has come along, can I just get the drive itself?
Also, who has the best price? I would prefer the Iomega brand (I know it's the IBM repackeged), because I know their service, which is excellent, I have no experience with IBM. I hope to order it today, so any help would be appreciated.
Thanks to everyone for all the help.
Todd
PS, How many pics should I expect to fit on a 1G drive in Superfine or RAW?
Upalms is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 26, 2002, 9:11 AM   #2

If you're doing a lot of travel, I would recomend you buy few of the CF 256 meg, I do not like the microdrive that much because it doesn't deal verywell with shock, and it also drain your power very fast, and it may not work with some digicams. I did not recommend you to buy the new 512 meg or 1 gig CF because their prices are still high, the price of 256 meg CF is very reasonable right now, you can get them for less than $100 a piece, good features, shock resistance, and comparable with all current readers and digicams.
tuanokc@hotmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2002, 9:15 AM   #3
NHL

660 has been reported for jpeg, so divide that number by 4 for RAW or 7 for Superfine (BTW this mode is inefficient with the camera, get tiff from the PC), but it all depends on the content of the picture and you can get a little more or a little less!

As for shocks it's designed for it, and will survive a drop (I can't say the same about the camera...

For cost, it's around $235. Ritz stores around the country carry the Iomega brand with the PCMCIA adapter and a plastic case for $249 (which'll be fine) It was shipped to me from IBM in a cardboard box!

The MindStor is also highly recommended and it already comes with both Firewire and USB interface! but you might check theses people out:

http://www.archos.com/us/products/product_jbmm.html

[Edited on 8-26-2002 by NHL]
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2002, 1:37 PM   #4

Default Raw vs Super Fine?

Why RAW over Super Fine? I've heard conflicting reports. We plan on using the 7i for work and play, we want to be able to use images for the web, but also have the option to use them for print.
Thanks,
Todd
Upalms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2002, 4:14 PM   #5
NHL

Your best bet will be Fine (lowest compression Jpegs), and if you always save the 1st generation copy directly out from the camera you should be OK. Raw and Superfine (tiff) are uncompressed format with raw being more efficient of the two in term of memory/power consumption on the camera. If you want Superfine results get it from the PC by saving Raw files into Tiff, and tax the PC instead!

http://www.stevesforums.com/forum/vi...d.php?tid=1529
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2004, 5:14 PM   #6

Saving Raw to TIFF, I don't really understand. . .do you simply take the photo, and change the title from .jpg to .tiff???

:?
Kaiserbowl is offline   Reply With Quote