Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Mar 21, 2004, 6:59 PM   #1

Default card reader usb 1.1 or 2.0?

Hi, I am a new digicam owner, having just bought a canon a80. I am now looking to buy a card reader.What do I need to know about usb 1.1 - 2.0. I have a hp pavilion 522a p/c, but dont know what size the usb is. As you can probably tell, I;m very new to digicams and p/c's. Do I need to concern myself about usb size? :?
Cheers Gerry
Gamma1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 21, 2004, 7:24 PM   #2

the 1.1 and 2.0 due not refer to size but to the "speed" of data transfer capabilities.

If you PC is 2.0 high speed (little red swoop over the USB logo) compliant you would be wise to use all 2.0 high speed accessories as it will be much faster.

If you PC is year 2004 it is most likely 2.0 high speed compliant. Check the spec sheet or outside of the box (if you still have it) to see if it is listed as 1.1 or 2.0 high speed. You can always call the store where you bought it or perform an internet search to get the same info.

Good luck and hope itís 2.0 high speed.
PKchopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2004, 8:13 PM   #3

Keep in mind however not to expect the super fast results that usb2 allows because there is still the bottleneck with the media type/speed you use.
huckle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2004, 9:30 PM   #4

My recommendation is to go ahead and get the usb 2.0 card reader. It is backwards compatible, so it will work whether or not your ocmputer is usb 2.0 compliant. For the miniscule price difference, I see no reason to get an older usb 1.1 reader.
Gandalf065 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2004, 2:53 AM   #5

Yeah, go for a USB2.0. It shouldn't be that much more than a similar 1.1, even in NZ (we southern hemisphere folks get ripped off everytime).
Onyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2004, 3:15 AM   #6

Thanks everyone for your replies, I will start looking for a good card reader with 2.0 usb.
Cheers Gerry
Gamma1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2004, 10:39 AM   #7

Check out this review of readers. It might help you choose:
http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/mul...id=7-6191-6217

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote