Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Mar 22, 2004, 2:21 AM   #1

Default writing to a CF card

I have 2 USB card reader/writers.
one is a Gini. I can read and write to a CF card with no problem.
The other is a Keyspan. I have all kinds of problems with it. If i leave the card in the reader for a while, it will unexpectedly unmount by itself. Writing to the card takes forever, and does not always work. The company replaced one for me, but the new one has the same problem.
I like to write to a CF card so that I can take edited pictures to be printed. I use the small 32 MB card that came with the camera because it is too small for anything else. I usually have only a few pictures to print at a time. So that is a good use for this card.

Does anyone have any ideas why the Keyspan reader/writer does not work?
Since they are both USB 1.1, i am looking to get a firewire reader/writer. Has anyone any recommendations on ones that will allow writing as well?
judyray is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 22, 2004, 11:38 AM   #2

I can't comment on those CF readers, as I don't recognise either brand.

I can say that all firewire readers should allow reading and writing. So you should be safe there. Here is a review of CF Readers that compares speeds:
http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/mul...id=7-6191-6217

I hope that helps.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2004, 3:27 AM   #3

Thanks. That was interesting reading, although nothing was mentioned about writing back to the cards.
judyray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2004, 10:39 AM   #4

No, but it should give you an idea of which brands work well with which cards (& that it differs.) That firewire generally reads much faster than USB.

Most cards write faster from the computer than from the camera, but the bottleneck is the card. So I'm not sure if a comparson of write speeds from the computer would make much of a difference (although I guess there would be some variety because there are other factors than just the CF speed.)

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote